- Oh, this one kinda smells funny.
- Oh yeah, it does kinda smells funny.
What do they do with this one?
- [All] Hello!
- My name is James.
- I'm Willow.
- [All] Show and Tell!
Our favorite books!
- Of course, if they make a movie, then, of it,
of course, the book is way better.
- Close your eyes!
- Okay, open your eyes.
- [All] Ooh!
- This book is called Ever After High: Once Upon A Time.
Here's Ever After High, that's the boarding school
for the sons and daughters of the most famous fairy tales.
The book is about a girl, daughter of the evil queen,
but Raven Queen doesn't wanna be evil,
because her mother turned her pet puppy into a bone rat.
- What's a bone rat?
- It's three times the size of a normal rat,
that grows on a diet of bones.
- Smells papery.
- How long did it take you to read it?
- It took me a week.
- Oh, sorry. (laughing)
- Who's your favorite character?
- Kitty, this purple one.
She's a Cheshire cat.
- Is the book scary?
- Not really, but it has lots of humor.
Do you like humor?
- [Kids] Yeah!
- Then you're gonna like this book.
- Who's ever read Captain Underpants before?
- Which book is that?
- I think it's two?
Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return
of Tippy Tinkletrousers?
- I thought it was Doctor Poopyhead,
not Poopyhead, Doctor--
- Doctor Poopypants! - Yeah!
Question to you, actually.
What was your favorite superpower?
Mine, personally, was the unlimited underwear.
Mine is the flying power.
- One, 'cause I wear mine every month,
and then change it, every month, change it.
- Does anybody wanna touch the book?
- I'ma smell it, while at it.
It smells like apple juice.
Were you drinking apple juice while reading this?
- It must have been like, one of my brothers
spilling apple juice on it.
- This is El Deafo by CeCe Belle,
this is based on a true story of CeCe Belle's life.
She got meningitis when she was four years old.
- What's meningitis?
- It's a disease that you can actually die from,
your brain can swell, but she actually survived it
and she only lost her hearing.
- I'm really happy she survived.
- Can I smell it? - Yeah.
Yes, she wears her bathing suit all the time.
- That's the first thing I find.
- How does she turn into a superhero?
(laughing) - Well, it's,
it's actually in her mind,
so she believes that she is a superhero,
and that she can overcome anything.
- I have my own already.
I am Ninja Boy!
- I am Fire Guy!
- I'm Cosmo Queen, riding Jupiter!
- I'm Elbow Girl, and I don't really have a super power.
Bum, bum, bum!
- I am Chocolate Lover!
- Wait, like, what's your super power?
You shoot hot fudge at people's faces?
- Boom, boom, boom!
And the villains go yum yum yum!
(laughing) - Still chocolate!
- Thank you, chocolate girl!
- This is Roller Girl,
and it has the Newbery Honor Reward.
- What is it about?
- It's about roller derby.
Roller derby's like a team game where,
someone in the back has to try and go around the arena,
but people will try to block whoever has the star
on their helmet.
- She has lots of stars on her helmet.
- Her helmet was actually the first thing she got
for roller derby.
- Is roller derby dangerous?
- Yeah, kind of, 'cause you get bruises and stuff.
- Does this book promote violence?
- Looks like it in this photo.
- She's fine.
- What the heck is that?
- Yeah, it's a very thick book.
- Atlas? - Obscura.
- Have you guys seen an Atlas before?
- So, it does not have a plot,
so basically, there's apparently like,
there's many places in this book,
like, there's an ever-lasting lightning storm.
- Is it better than Google?
- Yeah, it works without Wi-Fi, or data!
- And then you don't need to pay your internet company!
- True that! - Yay!
- True true true true true.
- How much do you think it weighs?
- I don't know, two pounds, one pound?
- When you get home, you should probably weigh it.
- Ooh, this one's really cool!
- Okay, so there's a guy--
- That's the cage of death, except you won't die.
- Ooh, that sounds really fun!
- This one's actually weird.
- Oh, that is really weird!
- Oh that's the, it's like,
so basically this thing apparently like (mumbles)
if you do something bad, people will kinda like,
you get devoured, and stuff like that.
- That sounds interesting!
- Very interesting!
- Sounds like cannibalism.
- Thank you, Siri!
- You're welcome. - Thank you, Siri!
- [All] Thank you for watching Show and Tell: Books!
Don't forget to subscribe!