I’m so out of breath.
Blame it on the socks, okay?
I’m sorry. I’m heavy.
I’m an artist.
VANESSA GRIMALDI #CirqueWay FOR A DAY
Hey guys! It’s me, Vanessa Grimaldi.
You may have seen me on ABC’s The Bachelor,
and today, I’m at the International Headquarters of Cirque du Soleil
in my hometown of Montreal, Quebec, and I’m super, super excited!
I was a gymnast for a couple of years,
and then once I quit gymnastics, I decided to apply
to become an acrobat at Cirque du Soleil.
That never happened. I became a teacher
and I’m like, well I still want to be part of the Cirque du Soleil family.
But today, I was finally invited
at their International Headquarters and I’ll be getting an entire tour,
and I’m super excited!
I’m gonna make a hat today.
So I heard that I have to choose an outfit,
but first we are at the atelier
where most of the outfits are made in Montreal,
so it’s super exciting.
I sew, so it feels like I’m at home,
I just want to sit down and start sewing a little costume,
but I won’t do that.
I want to just take a look and see what’s going on
and what kind of costumes are gonna be sewing up today.
I wonder how much pasta this guy ate.
I’m at the costume atelier with
Andrée and we just learned this dance move together.
So, I’m gonna be learning a dance routine, super excited about that.
I think we have something for your liking.
I hope so. There are just so many options.
Well, this one caught my eye. It’s like… this is amazing.
- That’s from Luzia.
Can you imagine there’s somebody performing with that costume on?
- And it’s heavy. - It is heavy, yeah.
And they’re flipping in this?
- Yeah. - With this on their head?
- It’s actually… it’s a belt. - I knew that. I was just testing her.
- They would have a freaking large head.
- I have the smallest head in the world. This is really…
- Oh yeah, this is pretty too. - Right, from TOTEM.
- Are there underwear in here or do they wear their own?
- We provide them with the underwear and yes there is, yeah.
And this one really caught my eye as soon as I walked in.
- Yeah, this is really crazy, it’s really nice.
It’s from one of the Free Spirits in VOLTA.
- So many people at Coachella want it, like would want to wear something like this.
- Yeah. And one of the things that’s special about this costume
is there’s a lot of 3D print components to it.
So those are made of a special kind of plastic,
so that the artists don’t hurt themselves if it hits them in the face or whatnot.
- Oh yeah, it looks like a natural bead.
- Yeah, but it doesn’t hurt. - It’s not wood or anything.
Most of the fabric we buy is actually white to begin with,
like a large majority, and we do all the printing and dyeing and…
- This is all in-house. - Yeah.
Wow, this is something that I would like to wear for my dance routine.
Can I wear this?
- I think that you would look great in there.
- Can I wear this one? - Absolutely.
- Oh my God!
Bollywood here I come.
So, this is an artist named Laurie.
- She’s Québécoise and she is doing bungie on the show.
But then it’s also a transitional character,
so they run around and do cues and you see her from time to time,
and she rotates in a bungie act
and she used to do a lot of acts as well, actually.
Kyle, I’m so excited!
- I’m excited, too! This is really fun!
- Kyle works at Cirque du Soleil. You’re a contortionist.
- I am. - But now, you’re also doing makeup.
- We’re at the makeup room right now, so we’re getting prepped.
I’m getting prepped for my Bollywood dance…
And what else am I doing that you had a massive like reaction to?
The cradle, you were like…
- Yeah, you’re doing Russian cradle, aerial cradle,
which is quite a well-known discipline in this company.
It’s actually one of the big group acts, it’s a jaw-dropping act.
- It’s pretty intense? - Yes.
- Very excited!
I love this look.
- Alright, Vanessa, it’s time to get ready now.
I have your costume, you can go put it on.
- Thank you so much.
- We completely transformed that chick. - Off I go.
- Good-bye, skip away!
Can I go flip now?
I want to go see myself in the mirror.
I feel like the expectations are gonna be very high,
people are looking at me, like: “Wow, what is she gonna do?”
I’m just gonna get stopped for autographs right now, I’m just warning you.
Can I look in the mirror?
Actually, I look like I could be part of the Cirque team.
I love it!
Now, let’s do some Bollywood.
What are you doing here?
This is my friend.
This is my friend Maryanne.
She came actually to surprise me in one of her…
In the costume they gave me.
This is so fun!
This is amazing! Okay, we’re stretching our knees.
- So, this is from the show TOTEM.
This is the finale dance with everybody,
all the artists dancing.
So, at the beginning they’re not all there, they come later.
- Blame it on the socks, okay?
Oh, are we making a dance move now?
Oh, I thought this was stretching.
Oh, so out of breath.
- You’re doing great!
Most embarrassing moment ever by Vanessa Grimaldi and Maryanne.
Now, it’s bye time.
- Shall I add this dance is taught in 15 minutes.
So, I just saw one of my coaches.
So now, I just embarrassed myself in the dance room learning
a dance that I think did well.
Now… Hello! Vanessa.
- Nice to meet you. - Nice to meet you.
This is very, very intimidating.
Oh my god! They probably think I know what I’m doing.
I don’t know what I’m doing, just… I’m here as a visitor, okay?
- As a what? - As a visitor, I’m just a visitor.
- Well, enjoy your visit. - Thank you.
You guys, they probably all think I’m a pro.
Hello, I’m a new member.
- We’re gonna go first with a simple jump.
- Okay, simple jump. - Yeah?
- From the cradleinto the pit. - What is a cradle?
- This is the cradle. - I’m thinking cradle, like… okay.
- So, you’re gonna climb the ladder here.
Stand on the cradle.
- That’s the cradle? - Yeah.
- Okay. - And then from here jump.
- What? - Jump down to your back.
- Okay. - Okay?
- So keep the line like this.
- You’re gonna hold me the whole time, eh?
- Yeah. If you’re good I can let you go.
- No. - So, I can hold youfor the first time?
- Manu, we’re not doing… no.
This is actually a dream come true, by the way.
So, I’m gonna face my fears, because I do have a little fear of heights,
I just didn’t tell you.
Everyone, keep doing what you’re doing.
Don’t watch me.
- Holy ***. - Arms behind the rope.
- Okay. - Yeah.
Straight jump to your back on the mat.
- Manu remember what we said. - Yeah.
- Slowly like an angel, okay?
Do they do this without being harnessed in the show?
- Yes, yes. - Or do they do it with being harnessed?
- Without harness. - They’re crazy.
The mind is so powerful. Okay, ready?
- Ready. - Ready?
- Set and free!
- I knew it. Guys how good was that?
- Now the porter is gonna get to the cradle, climbing up to the platform.
Yougive your hands and we’re gonna bring you down,
the porter and myself holding on the launch and do a few swings.
The porter… Easy, simple swing, small swing.
- Yeah? - Yeah.
My porter. What’s my porter’s name?
- What do I say if I say “scared”?
- He won’t understand. He will just swing you.
- I’m scared. [SCARED I]
Scared. [SCARED II]
Scared. [SCARED III]
I’m using scared. [SCARED IIII]
- No, he’s happy.
- But I’m scared. [SCARED IIIII] - I don’t know.
- Oh my god! Oh my god!
- And jump.
- That was a new performance.
I liked that a lot.
- Good, yeah? - Do that again?
- It’s impressive, usually Dennis doesn’t smile during training.
- Really? - Yeah, it’s the first time.
- Listen, you guys need me on the team, okay?
And press to your back, yes!
- I fell like a little doll.
I just fell over.
So, we are trying the front salto dismount
with my man Denis.
How do you say his name in Russian?
- Denis. - Denis.
- Manu, how do you say “thank you” in Russian?
- Spasibo. - Spasibo.
And that better be “thank you”!
- Nice! - I did it!
I’m gonna die!
Can I see the footage of that? Holy ***!
Espasami… What is it? - Spasibo.
- Sergei is gonna be your coach and Dima your partner.
- Dima, Sergé.
- Sergei. - Sergei.
Nice to meet you.
Ochen priyatna. Ochen priyatna? - Yeah.
- I’m learning Russian, too, here guys.
- Go down.
- Step over him, I’m gonna hurt him.
- Hands like that.
- Oh ***.
Okay, hold my hand.
- Don’t squeeze my hand.
Hold your hand down, go down and jump.
With your body tight…
Put your hands down.
I’m sorry. I’m heavy.
Move your body forward.
Okay, pull him up.
- Come up.
- Okay? - Here we go.
- Push again.
And put your hands down. - Okay, but don’t do anything crazy.
Sorry for the bum.
You wanna do one more, advanced?
If the coach believes in me.
He didn’t use the harness at all.
- Turn. - Okay.
- Hand, go.
Your hands to the side. Show me your hands beside. Nice!
Okay, next step: hand-to-hand.
- Yes, bring your feet a little more. - Hold on, I just want to go
on my tippy toes. Okay.
- Back on the floor. - Yeah.
- And go.
Straight. Point your feet.
- That was so much fun.
He’s sweating so much, I’m so sorry. - No problem.
- Bad, but good.
So, I wanted to become an acrobat for a really, really long time
after I was done gymnastics and I got invited to
the Cirque du Soleil headquarters today.
And I really didn’t think it was gonna be as exciting
a day as I had, with just picking out an outfit, doing my makeup,
getting to meet some of the trainers and the performers…
And it’s so interesting to see the relationships
that performers have together here.
It’s really building a bond and
I thought they were a family,
but now I can really confirm that Cirque is a family,
and a family that I want to be a part of.
So, thank you so much for this experience.
I hope you guys enjoyed it
and I hope you’re as impressed as I am with myself today.
But now, I got to go to a little talent show
and I’ve gotta take this makeup off.
So, thank you and hope to see you guys soon.
VANESSA GRIMALDI #CirqueWay FOR A DAY