♪ (French accordion music) ♪
- (FBE) So today, you're going to try Filipino snacks.
- What? What's a Filipino snack?
- Is that spicy?
- It's probably not going to be the best thing in the world.
- I'm Filipino.
I feel kind of nervous because there's stuff I've never heard of
or my mom has told me about and I don't like the sound of it.
- (FBE) The subscribers have asked us to have you try
a lot of different types of Filipino foods, including snacks,
so we got some of the most requested for you to try today
and might even do more in the future.
- We got you.
I love anything that's food.
- The viewers are requesting this.
That's why I'm scared.
- I watch some Filipino YouTubers.
They talk about their snacks that they have,
and they seem kinda good.
- I'm excited because I'm hungry,
so I'm just gonna dig right in.
- (FBE) Here is your first snack.
- This looks like dog food.
- Is it hard? Okay.
It looked like a nut, but a carmelized nut.
- It looks like those garlic... some sort of nut.
- I guess one's a corn nut.
- It smells like corn nut, it tastes like a corn nut.
But I don't know what kind.
It's probably not barbecue.
- (FBE) So that was Boy Bawang.
It's a corn chip with Adobo seasoning.
- This is too good.
I feel like I really want to eat the whole cup.
- I like it.
It's way sweeter than usual nuts.
- I really don't know what Adobo is.
- (FBE) Adobo is a popular dish in the Philippines
that has meat, seafood, or veggies, marinated in a sauce
of vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic.
So that's what you should be tasting from these chips.
- I don't really taste much vinegar. I taste a lot of garlic.
- I love these. Can I take these home?
- (FBE) Here is your next one.
- It's squishy.
- Ooh, it smells like chocolate.
- Is this like sweet bread? Is it cake?
- This is super foamy.
It makes my mouth really dry.
- It's kind of bland.
It does not taste as great it smells.
- When you bite into it, it just crumbles everywhere
in your mouth and it has a weird aftertaste.
- It's so sweet!
It tastes like cake, except it's drier.
- (FBE) That was a mocca cake.
It's a mocca flavored sponge cake.
- It's a cake? It tastes terrible.
Cakes don't taste terrible.
- I like it.
It just tastes like chocolate.
- I would like to try more flavors, like strawberry, vanilla.
I think I would like it a lot.
- (FBE) Here's your next one. - Chocolate!
Mmm, what? Whoa.
What? It tastes like nuts.
What is happening?
- Peanut butter. Chocolate peanut butter.
- Hmmm. Sweet.
It just melts in your mouth.
- That feels like I'm gonna have a sugar rush, even after one.
- It tastes like a nut,
but if you put a ton of it packed into one bite.
- I don't really like it.
I'm not a fan of peanuts.
- (FBE) That was a Choc Nut.
It's a popular chocolate candy in the Philippines
made with milk, chocolate, and peanuts.
- Best candy ever 2017.
- Milk chocolate is probably, by far, my favorite chocolate.
- (FBE) Here is your next one.
(wrapper crinkles) - Do I got to take off the wrapper?
What? What is this stuff?
- The inside kinda looks like rocks, but I'm speculating
this probably would be chocolate or hard chocolate.
- It doesn't smell like anything except for salt.
- Looks like a dried plum.
- Are most of these candy? - (FBE) Um, maybe.
(wrapper crinkling) - Dad, don't get mad at me.
Oh, that's hard.
- Ow, ow, ow, ow. It is SO-- it is kind of hard
It tastes like raisins.
- Whenever I try biting into it, it just doesn't work.
Its defenses are impenetrable!
- (FBE) So that was a salted tamarind.
It's a little pod-like fruit. - Oh, it's a fruit?
Well, that's new.
- That explains the thing in the middle.
- I didn't like its texture, and I didn't like its taste,
and I didn't like anything about it.
- (FBE) So your last one is more of a dessert than a snack,
but we get a lot of requests for it,
so we wanted you to give it a try.
- Uh, what's this?
- (gasping) Oh, it's cold!
- I want to see what's at the bottom.
It looks like corn.
Ugh! Corn on a dessert?
What is this?
- It looks weird!
There's a gooey thing on the side with sesame seeds on top.
- Huh-ho-ho! This actually looks kinda delicious.
- No, no, no. No, no.
That tastes like almond milk, and I'm not really an almond milk fan.
- It is Halo-halo.
I have to--
So there's the ube ice cream and then there's the flan.
I haven't had this for a while.
And then there's the crushed ice.
And then there's that milk part,
and then at the bottom is a jello.
- I like the purple stuff but not everything else.
- I thought it was gonna taste like ice cream.
And it doesn't.
- (FBE) This is called Halo-halo, which translates to "Mix-mix."
Some of its ingredients include ice cream, sweet ube,
sweet beans, flan, and jackfruit.
- I like that it has a lot of components,
so it has a lot of different flavors, but then they still go together.
- I don't like it.
It's just too fruity.
- I would tell a lot of people to try this.
This is amazing.
- (FBE) For the poll, which one of these Filipino snacks
would you recommend people eat? - Halo-halo.
- The Choc Nut.
- The mocca sponge cake.
- You would like the Choc Nut.
- The Halo-halo... 'cause it's like ice cream.
- Choc Nut. It tastes like peanuts and chocolate
and that's my baby.
- I recommend trying the Halo-halo.
It's probably the most delicious dessert I've ever tasted.
- The Halo-halo because it was really sweet
and it tasted like a milkshake and it has a bunch of different flavors.
It has something sweet, something savory, something sour.
Like, they have a lot of variety in their snacks.
- Thanks for watching this episode of Kids Vs. Food on the React channel.
- If you liked this episode, then hit that Like button!
- Bye, everyone!
- Hey, guys, I'm Katie, a React channel producer.
Thank you so much for watching this episode.
If you want to see your country's food represented,
let us know in the comments.