- [Awkwafina] Hi, I'm Awkwafina.
- [Jack] I'm Jack Black.
- [Both] And we're doing the Wired Autocomplete Interview.
- I love you too. - Love you.
- Here we go.
Does Jack Black sing?
- [sings] Yes I do.
- Mm, it's like butter.
Does Jack Black have a band?
- I do, Tenacious D. - Tenacious D, man.
- Tenacious D time-- - The Pick of Destiny.
- We mother[beep] go. - The Pick of Destiny.
Does Jack Black
actually play guitar?
- I do play guitar but I don't do any of the solos.
I stick to the power chords.
I play with passion, I play with ferocity.
- What's your favorite chord?
- The D chord. - Oh, okay.
Did Jack Black sing Welcome to the Jungle in Jumanji?
- No, I didn't, but I sang it on the set of Jumanji
a lot. - A lot.
- You know where you are?
You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna die.
[sings] In the jungle.
- That was actually what he said to me
my first day on set, he uh--
- I did.
- He greeted me with that.
- You're gonna die.
What a horrible greeting.
- Is Jack Black a nice guy?
Yes, yes. - Aww, thank you.
Oh my god. - He is.
I'm glad you said that 'cause that was not for me to say.
- Yeah, that woulda been like, "I'm nice."
- Thanks for jumpin' in. - Crickets.
He's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
It's a pleasure to be around him.
Is Jack Black actor vegan?
But I would like to be.
I am in spirit and, really,
it's time for everyone to consider that lifestyle.
Why? For the environment. - Sure.
- It turns out, I found out,
that vegans are better for the environment.
Why? Cow farts.
Okay, this is me.
- Mm, not well, mm-mm.
- She's not even gonna give us a sample.
- [sings] ♪ She's got Betty Davis eyes,
♪ she'll turn the music on you. ♪
- Boo beep boo beh.
- [Both] [singing] She's got Betty Davis eyes.
Can Awkwafina play piano? - Yes.
I know my way around the old black and whites.
- You tickle the ivories?
- I tickle the ivories, I give 'em a little,
you know, a little afternoon delight, you know?
- What's the hardest song you learned?
- Um, nothing 'cause I never really learned it.
- Oh really?
But you know what I can do, I can pump out chords
and I know where C is.
- All right. - Yeah.
- Can Awkwafina fly?
- You know, I used to get a lot of airplane anxiety.
But now it's just, you know, I go with it.
You know, I get on the plane, maybe I'll have some vino.
- So you're not like Travolta, though.
You didn't get a pilot's license.
- Like from Look Who's Talking 2?
- No you know that the Travolta is famously an actual pilot.
And he flies his own big jumbo jet.
- Like for Jet Blue?
- Dude, where he lives he has like a runway.
He flies literally out of his backyard.
- Yeah well in Look Who's Talking 2
- Uh huh.
- He gets his pilot's license so that actually makes sense.
- I did not see that. - You didn't see two?
- I barely saw number one.
When did Awkwafina grow up? - Grow up?
I was a nineties baby.
- So are you a Generation Y?
- No, I'm a millennial. - You're a millennial.
Where does Awkwafina live?
- You know, nowhere and everywhere.
- Wouldn't you like to know?
- Okay ready?
- What's Jack Black's - Jack Black's real name?
- Thomas Jacob Black
- Really? Your first names Thomas?
- What's Jack Black's first movie?
- Bob Roberts.
- Bob Roberts.
What is Jack Black's favorite food?
I know this one.
la hamburguesa con queso.
- You're right. Cheeseburger.
♪ Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, five, four, three burger ♪
- What is Jack Black's religion?
- Judaism. Born and raised. Judaism.
But my father converted.
He was a protestant and then he kind of went back.
So now I'm kind of a daywalker.
I got a little bit of both.
Hanukkah and Christmas. - Nice.
I've just got Christmas. - All you've got is Christmas?
- I remember all my Jewish friends used to be like
"We've got seven days" - Yeah.
- "Of Christmas. Y'know?
- Yeah but what's up with that song
♪ On the seventh day of Christmas my true love ♪
There's like twelve days of Christmas in that song.
- No there's just the one
- So why do they say, "on the 12th day of Christmas"
in that song?
- I think he was one of those people
that left his decorations up for a while.
What is Jack Black's nationality?
- Born in the US of A.
But I have a little bit of Polish,
little bit of Scotch Irish,
little bit of Russian,
and a little bit,
I can't remember the other one.
- What is Jack Black's favorite color?
- I like the green. - Blue?
- I like blue, but green is my fave.
- Oh no.
School did Awkwafina go to?
- I went to PS196 and the I went to Halsey
which is JHS157 and the I went to
Laguardia High School for the performing arts
and then I went to SUNY Albany.
- Dang you went to a lot of schools.
- Yeah dude.
- What has Awkwafina been in? - Oh.
- Oh my god, IMDB it. - Yeah.
- Going to the next one.
You don't have to say your whole résumé.
- No I don't want to.
- What does Awkwafina do? - Do.
I feel like there's a troll sentiment behind that.
- I know that's like a loaded question.
What does she do anyway?
- What does she even do?
- I just pretty much sit there.
- You're an entertainer extraordinaire.
- Languages does Awkwafina speak?
I'm actually fluent in English
and I speak a little Chinese
and a little bit of español
and I can say,
"poop" in Korean.
When was Jack Black...
- August 28th, 1969.
- Virgo. Like a month before the lunar landing.
- '69, a good year.
- Dude I've always been proud to be born in '69.
I've never wanted to be born in any other year.
It just seems like the raddest year to be born.
Cause you're from the 60's
which everyone knows is the raddest decade.
But not too early in it.
You just caught the tail end. - Yeah, would have been cool
if you had been born on June ninth.
- Oh cause it would have been six-nine, six-nine.
- That would have been hard.
When did Jack Black start acting?
- Jack Black started acting in like 1982.
Was my first professional gig.
I got a commercial when I was a little kid.
For, strangely enough, a video game called Pitfall.
A jungle adventure game.
- It was very similar to...
- Jumanji. - Jumanji
What is Jack Black phone number?
- Wouldn't you like to know?
- It's all sixes and nines
but we won't tell you the actual combination.
- Why is Jack Black called Jables?
- My partner in Tenacious D is Kyle Gass.
I called him KG.
And then I wanted to call him Kage for short
because I didn't want to say KG. It was a cage.
And then he was like, "I don't like."
"Don't call me Kage. I'm gonna call you Jabe."
"Short for JB. Jabe."
And I was like, "Good, call Jabe."
And then he started calling me Clark Jables.
And then it was just Jables.
- Why is Jack Black called Jablinski?
- Well it came from Clark Jables, and then Jables.
And then Jablinski.
I guess it was just a celebration of my Polish roots.
- All right.
- Is Akwafina...
- No I'm not Canadian.
- Is Awkwafina - Named after Aquafina?
For legal purposes, no.
And I do not intend, hereby from this moment,
to sell, duplicate,
or vend water.
- Is Awkwafina...
related to Ken Jeong?
- Yeah he's my biological father.
- Oh my god. - No he's not.
He was my father in Crazy Rich Asians
and I called him Papafina because that's what he is.
- Awkwafina is - Nora from Queens
Yeah, that's the name of my new show coming out.
Where did Jack Black...
- Hermosa Beach, California.
- Where did Jack Black go to high school?
- I went to Culver Junior High
then I went to a little school called Poseidon
that doesn't exist anymore.
Then I ended up at Crossroads. - Crossroads.
- Where I met my wife, my future wife.
How did Jack Black and Kyle Gass meet?
- Kyle Gass and I were in a theater company
in Los Angeles called the Actors Gang.
- Oh wow.
- We were both into music and he was a great guitar player
and I wanted to learn guitar
and I asked him to teach me guitar.
And thus was born Tenacious D. - Wow, that's awesome.
- True origin story of the D.
- How did Jack Black and Dave Grohl meet?
- So me and Kyle had this band Tenacious D
and we were playing little gigs around town.
We were playing the Viper Room
and we're behind a little curtain.
And who pops his head in? It's Dave Grohl.
"Hey you guys, I'm Dave Grohl."
"Just wanted to say have a great show."
"I'm gonna watch your show."
And we were like, "Ah!"
And then we had a great show.
And then we talked to him afterwards
and we became friends, and that's the story.
- That's awesome.
Where did Jack Black go to college?
- I went to UCLA
I was not a good student though.
I slept through a lot of lectures.
I was really good in theater.
I was a theater major.
And I ran away with the Actors Gang Theater Company
in like my second year of college.
And I didn't tell my dad for like a year and a half
because I knew he really wanted me to get a degree.
Didn't want to disappoint him. - Yeah.
- But he's forgiven me over time.
- Where does Jack Black live?
- In Los Angeles. Let's leave it at that.
It's a big city.
- 9100 Los Biernes Road. - And I know you wanna know.
- No I just made that up.
I hope there's not really 9100 Los Biernes
Some dude's gonna be like, "Why did he say mine?"
- He just said it, let's go!
I've got the truck loaded.
- Who is Awkwafina... [Together] Dad.
- Who is Awkwafina Dad? - Wallie.
- We're missing some S's. - Big dubs.
- Awkwafina who is she? - You know what? I'm a gemini.
I like long walks on the beach.
I have a size five and a half shoe.
- Who is Awkwafina Shang Chi? - In Shang Chi.
I can actually honestly say that
I cannot tell you that yet.
- Who does Awkwafina - Sound like?
- Dude, but look how it, yeah, okay upside down
it was really freaking me out.
I thought it said "so nudd."
- You know I sound like an angry mandrel.
That's what I sound, that's my default tone.
It's a lot of bass.
No but like "uh" you know what I mean?
Yeah that's the morning sounds.
- Last but not least
Who is Awkwafina video? - [Together] Video.
What is this a Jeopardy! Question?
- Who is Awkwafina video? - What?
Drink some of that sauce, you know what I mean?
Who are these people? - Sauce.
- Yeah, yep. - Well done.
- All right should we just do the cards over and--
- Take it from the top?
- Yeah I'd love to take it from the top.
- Let's really quickly paste those things back on
and we'll take it from the top.