male announcer: Previously on "The Purge"...
- Somebody put a bounty on your head.
- What have I done to all of you
to make you hate me so much?
- You killed my wife.
- I'm sorry. - Don't leave me!
I couldn't stop thinking
about what happened on Purge Night.
- It must be hard, I know Andy was your friend.
- It's sick, Ben.
- Shit, Jackals.
- Thieves who steal from other thieves.
- Tommy Ortiz, come out with your hands up!
- The banks put the money in the air.
We can take it before it ever leaves the ground.
[screens fizzle] - Jammer's in.
- Me and my guys will be working
private security that night,
we'll be the ones guarding the plane.
- I messed with the wrong guys
and I think they're coming to Purge me.
- Are you okay?
- Esme committed an act of treason.
This is a priority one manhunt.
- There is something very wrong and I don't know what to do.
- You can help me.
- So you think you can take down the NFFA
- They're killing innocent people off-Purge,
and I think I found the proof.
- The Foundation's gonna wanna blast it wide.
- I need to help. Please, just let me stay.
[K. Flay's "This Baby Don't Cry"]
- ♪ One, two, three ♪
♪ I used to worry 'bout the way that I walk ♪
♪ Like was I talking too loud? ♪
♪ And could I hang with the jocks? ♪
♪ I try to tell 'em See ya later ♪
♪ But they don't wanna let me go ♪
♪ I send my love to all the haters ♪
♪ Yeah, I just wanna let 'em know ♪
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
♪ Cry ♪
♪ Cry ♪
- Mia, I need you to come downstairs and--
- Dad, get out!
[quiet] ♪ This baby don't cry ♪
get out now.
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
♪ This baby don't cry ♪
- What's the word?
- It's crazy out there.
Crowds are already forming.
We should allow more time to move across the city.
- And you?
- What about me?
- Hey, I know that you're working with these hackers,
and I know you have a score to settle with the NFFA.
But you've been acting off.
- I'm fine.
- Something I should know about?
- Don't worry about me.
Okay? I'll be fine tonight.
Just focus on them,
keeping them safe.
- We get through this,
and we are out of this country forever.
But we gotta get through the night.
- It's that time, folks.
- Oh, shit, seriously? - Man, come on down.
- Let's go.
- What's this?
- It's tradition. - Tommy's tradition.
- Tommy would be pissed if we didn't do it.
- [laughs] - Are you insane?
- Only if we didn't trust each other.
- We've been doing this for years.
We've only missed, like, what, three or four times?
- [laughing] Ooh.
This is about to be fun.
[screams] - Oh, shit!
- Fu--Fu--Oh! - Oh, shit!
Shit, did I--
- Oh! I'm just fucking with you.
- Funny, funny.
- Oh, Tommy would be proud.
- Higgins Boulevard shut down--
- What's up?
- Ugh. We have a problem.
Streets around the airport are closing at 5:00.
- Shit. What do we gotta do?
- We need access to those roads
or we can't get the jammer in range.
- What about the backup jammer,
can you extend the range on that?
- You built two? - Just in case.
I can match the frequency of this controller
with the device we have on the plane,
but I'm not sure I can extend the range
without blowing a circuit.
- Ziv, it's Ryan. We need to talk.
- [sighs] What do you want?
- You ever seen crowds this big?
This year is tracking to become the largest Purge we've seen.
Who are those guys?
- This mask is everywhere. Big seller.
Everyone wants to be like The Campus Killer tonight.
They think he's cool.
- With any luck they'll all get Purged tonight.
Let the citizens restore the balance.
We don't need people encouraging off-Purge violence.
I know I don't have to tell you this,
but about Esme,
whatever she was up to, chances are
she'll make some sort of move on Purge Night.
Now, if you see her, don't let it get personal.
Tag like you don't know her name.
- Not a problem. She made her choice.
There will be consequences.
- That's right.
I just wanted to say that I was sorry,
I was so distracted with my own bullshit
that I wasn't there to protect you.
Gotta be honest,
you haven't really been there for me the last couple years,
but I guess, in some sort of messed up way,
this year has been kinda good for us, huh?
- Except for the fact
that you're on some America's Most Wanted list.
- Maybe I deserved it.
Look, they had me betray someone who really trusted me
and I did that.
- It was the system that betrayed us.
We're supposed to buy into these laws all year
and just forget about it for one night.
Who do you think that serves? Not you.
Not me, that's for damn sure.
Son, no, we don't deserve this.
You hear me?
- Aw, hell yeah.
I like this new you, Dad.
Yeah. - Well,
no matter what happens tonight,
I promise I'ma keep you safe.
- Nah, I know that.
- Double or nothing, man!
- Yeah, yeah. - Yeah.
That shit is sick.
- Yo, yo, check out this TikTok.
It's a Purge confessional.
We're totally making one.
- It's cool. - Yo!
Does anyone remember what tonight is?
Or none of you care about keeping this house safe.
- Turner, chill, man, we have time.
- Dude, half our preppy douchebags went home
to hide with their parents.
We're low on manpower.
- Fine, I'll help.
But, I mean, why don't you make Ben help, too?
- Have you checked on him?
- Where is he? - Upstairs.
Still locked in his room.
- He's been acting weird, man.
- He's seen a lot of off-Purge death this year
and now it's actual Purge.
So you'd be weird, too.
- I'm just tellin' you, I'm not looking forward
to spending the night in here alone with that guy.
- Ben is fine, he's just sad about his girlfriend.
- That was two months ago.
I don't think he's sad anymore, man.
Just go check it out.
[King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's "Self-Immolate"]
- ♪ I have gone insane-o ♪
♪ I lust for volcano ♪
♪ Be with molten lava ♪
♪ Give me my nirvana ♪
♪ I have no vertigo ♪
♪ I lust for tornado ♪
♪ Be a leaf upon air ♪
♪ Venusian mal de mer ♪
You joining the army or something?
Yo, when'd you get that?
And why? - Going out tonight.
- Dude, are you serious?
Think about what happened last year.
- Last year you pissed yourself and ran away.
- Look, I know you're trying to push people away,
'cause I did the same thing when my brother died.
Just 'cause Kelen is gone doesn't mean
that you have to check out like I did.
Could you just stay, man?
- Why are we stopping?
- I think we got a flat. Can you check your side?
- All right, yeah, sure.
Um, yeah, I don't see anything.
- Right there. What about that?
Is that a nail? - Where?
I--I still don't see anything.
[grunting and yelping]
Yo, what the hell are you doing?
- Son, I didn't know how else to do it.
- Are you crazy?
- There's no other place that would keep you safe,
except the hospital.
- How is this keeping me safe?
- Angry neighbors is one thing,
but we're talking about the NFFA here, okay?
My Purge security is not gonna stop the government.
- So you break my arm?
- I'm gonna take you to the hospital.
It's off limits on Purge, even for them,
There's no way that they will let you in
without a real injury.
Okay? That's the only way.
You gotta believe me.
Just stay right there.
Come on, let me brace it.
Son, this is how you stay alive.
- Is that who I think it is?
- Ziv, I'd like to have your team stay on point.
- Ease up, Reynolds.
Come on, what do we got?
- I'm here, which gives me a clear shot
to this access road which runs
along the edge of the airport.
When I get within range, I activate the jammer
which keeps the plane grounded until Purge sirens.
Ziv, you and your team are here on the tarmac,
guarding the plane.
- Sara and I are here,
ready to smash the barrier fence when the sirens go off.
As soon as it's legal, we all drive through,
and we load up the vehicle together.
- Jammer is the part that has to be perfectly timed.
Too late and the plane is already in the air,
too early and the banks have enough time
to initiate their plan B,
moving the money via ground transport to God knows where.
- Okay, so what's the problem?
- NFFA is sending in reinforcements.
- Extra security will be blocking those access roads.
- Which means that I can't get within range
to keep the plane grounded.
- Give me the remote.
I'll activate the jammer from the tarmac.
- Yeah, that's not gonna happen
because that's the only thing keeping you
from cutting us out.
- So what?
We abandon the plan?
- No, you call in a favor,
you get the NFFA to move their security detail a block over.
- I can't risk it.
I make that call, it traces back to me.
- Then we're fucked.
- Maybe not.
I have an idea.
- Hey, did you do it? - Yeah.
- And he made it to the hospital okay?
- He's safe.
Oh, man, I think he hates me.
- He might.
But he'll live to forgive you one day.
And that's what's important.
What you did was brave.
Are you sure you're okay in that house?
You and Michelle, you can come and hide out here with us.
I gotta stand up to these people
or they'll never stop.
- I just hate the thought of the two of you alone.
Because you gotta stay alive, Marcus.
For our boy, and for all of us.
[power tools buzzing]
- I knew we should have started this earlier.
This crack job is not gonna keep us alive.
Hey, come on, guys, who had the second floor?
It's only half done.
- Ben said he'd take care of it.
- So why didn't he?
- Homeboy is freaking me out.
Did you see what he did to his head?
- Yeah, he cut his hair. So what?
- Turner, Ben's been acting weirder than weird,
and I think you just don't want to see it.
- Yo, Ben!
[muffled] Ben, you up here?
Listening to a fucking freshman.
Get your shit together.
- Hey, you're leaving the floor?
- Uh, yeah, I thought I'd grab a coffee before lockdown.
- We have coffee here.
- Have you tasted it?
- Fair enough.
- Want anything? - No, I'm good.
Just get back safe.
[car horns honking]
What's going on? what's wrong?
- Hey, I need another favor.
- I can't. Curtis is all over me.
- Do you think he knows you've been helping me?
- No, I don't think so. No.
- Okay, so I can still count on you tonight.
- Yes, you can.
- Good. - We should get moving.
- Wait, he doesn't know, does he?
- He knows that I'm working with The Foundation,
he just doesn't know the endgame.
- (quietly) Well, why didn't you tell him?
You said he was a good person.
- He is.
That's why he would try to stop me.
Do you think you can do him a favor, this time?
- No, I cannot get caught, Esme.
- This is different.
Before Purge, I want you to tag me.
- What? That is suicide.
- No, I'm talking about a false hit.
- Where do you wanna get pinged?
- Okay, five blocks from the airport.
Create a fake spotting exactly 15 minutes before the sirens.
- I'll need a believable visual.
- Find one.
- Fine, I'll do it.
- Thank you.
Thank you for all of this.
- I don't mean to interrupt, but we're running out of time.
- Just stay safe, okay?
- I'll try. Thank you.
- Let's go.
- There's still time. Come sit.
You did not cook the night before Purge.
- We had sushi on our first date, remember?
- Yeah, where do you think I stopped before I came home?
- So you remember that place was nasty?
- I went there with you; you said it was perfect.
- So if this is our last meal...
We should clear the air.
- I agree.
I hate your mother.
- Oh, really?
- I mean, just, like, the sound of her voice is--
it's like a fork in the garbage disposal.
The teeth on just that one side of your mouth are crooked.
It's so weird.
- Wow, that's cold, babe.
- It's like "ugh."
- Hey, really? Are you serious?
- Wow. Wow.
When did you become so funny?
- I've always been funny.
- Well, this is to a hell of a year.
- And to us.
- That's worth fighting for.
- Marcus, we have both screwed up big-time.
We've hurt each other.
It's gonna take time, but if we get through tonight,
all I can promise is that I will try every day.
- Me too.
- Who's going hunting with me tonight?
- Ben, what is this?
Why did you draw all this?
- Why the hell are you going through my stuff?
- I'm worried about you.
- I don't think you're right in the head, man.
We've all noticed.
You're grieving and you're angry,
and going out and purging tonight
isn't gonna help you,
- You don't know what the hell you're talking about.
- What are you doi--
- Don't touch me.
- Ah, ah, ah!
- Dude. - Fuck off, Ben, let him go.
- Ah, you're hurting me.
- You look like Andy when he died.
- So sick of this shit, you fucking psycho.
- Everyone back away from him.
- I dare you.
- Just go.
- Do you want me to die?
- You're not giving me a choice anymore.
- Hey, Turner...
What if I was going out on Purge to have some fun...
But the dickheads I live with decided to piss me off instead?
[whispering] What do you think I'd do?
Just do it.
That's what I thought.
- Someone open the front door.
- Now, go! - All right.
- Some brotherhood.
- We're sorry; all police and emergency services
have been suspended in anticipation
of the annual Purge. If you are still alive--
- Ah, shit.
Get the door secured, now.
- What'd he say to you? What happened?
- Whatever happens, whatever he says,
do not let him back in this house.
- Ryan, you in place?
- First team set.
Second team's ready to go as well.
Give the NFFA hell for me, okay?
Hey, be safe.
- Good luck.
- You too.
- You know what you gotta do. Get outta here.
[motorcycle engine roaring]
- It's still early.
[door beeps and thuds]
Hey, what's going on?
- Hey, can we-- - Come in.
- Thanks. - Is everything okay?
- Yeah, we're fine,
we just didn't want you guys to go through this alone.
- But what about your place?
- M, a lot of folks are standing strong together.
They'll be fine without us.
- Wow, we appreciate this so much.
- Of course.
We shoulda reached out a long time ago.
Family's gotta stick together.
- Okay, Esme, here we go.
- Units at airport, tagged suspect nearby.
Proceed to coordinates.
- Good work.
They're clearing the access roads.
- Thank Esme.
What are you doing here?
- I'm just gonna make sure you don't get into any trouble.
- Ziv, what is this bullshit?
- Relax, he's there to help.
- Yeah, Ryan.
What can I do to help?
Go take a pass upstairs, all right?
Make sure all the windows are secure.
- Hey, Zane, you wanna watch the front door?
[thrilling electronic music]
Did he come back down?
- Yeah. - Are you sure?
- Yeah, I guess.
- Yeah, you guess.
Dude, answer me.
- Have you seen Scott?
- I think I heard him in your room.
- What are you doing?
[muffled voice continues]
What the hell are you doing, man?
[muffled frightened yelps]
- You coming?
- It's early.
- What, are you gonna wait
for the security guards to come back?
Let's get past the checkpoint before it's too late.
- I said wait.
- Or what, ya gonna kill me before Purge?
- Getting close now. Minutes away.
- Ryan, that you? Come in.
It's too soon. It's too soon.
[machinery grows quiet]
- Something's wrong. The controls are fried!
- Ryan, the jammer went off early.
What the hell did you do? Come in.
God damn it.
They're gonna unload the safes from the planes.
The banks are moving the money across the ground.
Ryan fucked it up.
Ryan, what the hell are you up to.
Where the hell are you?
- What did you do? What did you do?
- Don't do it.
[car door crunches]
[clock ticking rapidly]
- This is not a test.
This is your emergency broadcast system
announcing the commencement-- - Come on, keep playing.
- Of the annual Purge sanctioned
by the U.S. government. - It's a party.
- Weapons of class four-- - Drink, have a good time.
- And lower have been authorized
for use during the Purge.
- Loading the last one now.
- All other weapons are restricted.
- Government officials of ranking ten
have been granted immunity-- - The fuck are you up to?
- from the Purge and shall not be harmed.
- Tap on the windows, guys, we gotta delay these trucks
till the sirens go off or we are not getting paid.
- Commencing at the siren, all crime, including murder--
- Well, get ready.
- will be legal for 12 continuous hours.
Police, fire, and emergency medical services
will be unavailable
until tomorrow morning at 7:00 a.m.--
- Listen up.
Another Purge is about to begin.
Remember, there's a tagged suspect on the loose.
Stay focused. Let's do this, people.
- Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America.
- Open up! - A nation reborn.
- We have a problem. I need to reroute you.
Open the door.
- Hey, let's get 'em open.
- Let's go.
- Keep playing.
- I'm sorry.
- I need you to open--
[guns firing rapidly]
- Watch out!
- Cover fire!
- Better get down!
- Oh, come on, please.
Please, man, please, come on.
Come on, please.
Please don't--don't make me, I don't--
- It's okay, dude.
Just drink it.
- Oh, oh. Oh.
- You fucking psycho!
- Shithead. - [growls]
- [breathing frantically]
- Ugh! - [yelps]
- [gargles and spurts]
- [quietly] I'm sorry.
- There's the coward I know.
- Just do it already.
I think I have a better idea.
- [breathing heavily]
What is it?
- They took the hit down.
- Why would they do that?
- I have no idea.
Is that him? The guy in the truck?
- Looks like they decided
to take care of business themselves.
- That was a false hit on Esme.
Strike team couldn't find any sign of her.
- Oh, it looked like her. I'm sorry.
I'm just anxious to bring her in.
It won't happen again.
- No, it's fine. We'll get her.
They've cleared a bounty.
Sorry I'm late.
- Sounds like the Jackals were right on time.
- Just like we planned.
- We shoulda stuck with you. You okay?
- Yeah, I'm fine. Any movement here yet?
- Not yet.
- Nice truck you got there.
- Ya. - Yeah.
- Come on, let's get outta here.
- There's our target.
- Purge prisoner transport departing.
- Let's go get our boy.