Kang Donghyun: Like how many girls they've hung out with, show-offs,
and that "swag"...Is that hip-hop's culture?
Seo Donghyun: There no such thing in H1GHR MUSIC
Korean hip-hop is...
I'll do my best
Can you become friends with a person you just met?
The First Meeting: Seo Donghyun, Kang Donghyun
Seo Donghyun: Hello
Kang Donghyun: Nice to meet you
Could you introduce yourself?
(28 yrs old / on PD internship) I am Kang Donghyun from Seoul National University
Nice to meet you
I'm attending Daewon Foreign Language High School
My name is Seo Donghyun, and I'm a rapper from H1GHR Music
- Sorry, where? - H1GHR Music
Should we bring some snacks?
- Oh really? - Yes
- Yes I love snacks - Oh really?
I'll go get them
- (laughs) - Is it natural to be this awkward...
Of course. You've got to enjoy it
Are you on your senior year?
Actually...I wanted to study more
- But you're not in graduate school - No
STEP 1. Look at each other with your eyes wide opened
- I love your glasses - Oh my glasses?
I got this during SMTM. GIRIBOY bought if for me
Do you like hip-hop
I actually enjoy all kinds of songs
but Korean hip-hop...
So you're foreign hip-hop stan...?
No I'm not obsessed with it. I do listen to more foreign hip-hops than Korean ones.
- But I'm not a foreign hip-hop stan - Do you know any of my songs?
I'll work harder
STEP 2. Keep the distance of 45cm
Should we sit closer?
Oh like this..?
- Should we sit together? - Shall we?
Don't know how close they want us to be
You can sit
- Are you sure about this? - Who cares
My favorite singers are...
I like K-pop in general
Do you like K-pop?
- Yes I like it a lot - Who's your favorite?
- Girl's Day? - ?!
I don't know about other idol groups after them
I like Hyeri
How about you?
- I like everyone - Everyone?
- Well...everyone except Korean hip-hop people.. - Everyone except...
But now I've met you, so if someone asks me who's my favorite Korean rapper
- I'll say Seo Donghyun... - Seo Donghyun: ...
I'll go back to my seat
- You're not a celebrity? - Of course I'm not a celebrity
But you're funny
- You're hilarious - I'm not
Should we come closer?
- Should we? - Yes
STEP 3. Decide how to call each other
But first I wanna ask you something
Don't your friends call you "Seo Dong", cuz you're Seo Donghyun?
- So when we learned about Earth's rotations - Uhhuh
- They used my name for memorization - Huh?
- For the directions... - Ohhh Seo(=West) and Dong(=East)?
Yes but I don't have a nickname cuz of my name...
- I asked you cuz my friends call me "Kang Dong" - Oh "Kang Dong"?
- They're like "Kang Dong, Kang Dong". Thought you'd be called "Seo Dong, Seo Dong"
- Do you live in Kang-Dong(=East Gangnam)? - Pardon?
- Just kidding... - Okay
What if I call you "Seo Dong" ?
I'd like that. You don't need to use honorifics
You first need to stop using honorifics
You can just talk down to me, don't have to care about me
(Honorifics ON) Do you have any signature pose when you introduce yourself?
(Honorifics OFF) I mean...do you?
- We don't do "We're H1GHR Music" kind of stuff - How?
It's an old stuff. Rappers don't do it that way.
Then what do rappers do?
(I'm a rapper)
I'm getting a headache
STEP 4. Find common features
Who named you?
A grandpa at a naming center. How about you?
A fortuneteller in my town. It costed 300 bucks
Flex! My parents...
Do you like your name?
I've never thought deeply about why my name is Donghyun so...
- Cool - How about you?
I didn't like it for my whole life cuz it's too common
Don't think it worth 300 bucks...
- You think it doesn't worth it... - Yeah I can think of that name too
Then can you think of other name you'd like?
- I've always wanted my name to be one syllable - Me too!
Right? It's kinda bluff actually
Like DEAN, his birth name is "Kwon Hyuk"
Can you recommend one-syllable name that goes well with my last name "Kang"?
Kang Mool (=river)?
- Cheers - Okay
- Can you recommend one for me? For "Seo? - One syllable?
- Seo-ul - ...Cheers
STEP 5. Show innocent interest in each other
Do you have any question for me?
Do you know Lee Gyuchul?
Lee Gyuchul? Who's that?
He's in hip-hop club in your college
Ohh Triple H?
- Yes he's a part of it - Ohhh (don't know)
- There's a famous video - Oh really?
I'll try to have an interest from now...in Korean hip-hop
Yes please try to have some interest in Korean hip-hop
Okay. I wanna ask you about prejudice on it
- You know that..."swag" - Yes / - The way rappers show off how much they're "cool"
You know, they even boast about how many girls they've hung out with
Are those stories true, or they just make those up for hip-hop?
No offense really, I'm just asking out of pure curiosity
Those kinds of show-offs, is that Korean hip-hop's culture?
- First of all I don't do those kinds of stuffs - Doesn't everyone say that?
- There's no such thing in H1GHR Music - Then where?
- I won't make any comments on that - I won't tell anyone
(How could you...)
They'll understand. It's how hip-hip is in general...
Okay....I'm just kidding
Actually I'm just a freshman in hip-hop scene
I'm still learning. Those kinds of cultures and stuff
- How is it learning? - I mean I shouldn't learn those
- No if you'd like to learn...! - I don't
- Oh okay - It's just...that's hip-hop
- And this is hip-hop... - Oh you respect the diversity
- Good-natured hip-hop - Oh you're a part of that?
Yes there're good-natured family and grown-up-stuff family
- Who first started that good-natured hip-hop? - GIRIBOY
- So it's a family tree of no scandals? - No scandals
- You need a scandal to get into the grown-up stuff family? - A scandal puts you in there naturally / - Ohh~
- Then...you shouldn't get in there - I won't
Okay, promise! (he won't cause any scandals from now😊)
Are you planning to go to college?
I've wanted to ask, is it good to go to college?
Like, you might had some fantasy about it. Is it different from the reality?
I thought...college will brighten my future
Thought I'll be able to do anything
But It's not like that
- But you're in Seoul National University? - That doesn't matter
- Do you want to go to Seoul National University? - I used to before
But now I want to go to Hongik
- Everyone has fantasy about college life - Right
But I heard there's nothing to do near Seoul National
- Is it right? - Yeah, who told you that?
You're exactly right!
There's just a mountain. Nothing for the entertainment.
But you're humanities major, Aren't there more girls than STEM?
- 😮? - Am I wrong?
You're right. But is that important?
Not saying it's important!
- But it's a part of college life's...fantasy... - Right
Actually my parents wanted me to get a job that needs lots of studying
Like law-related...you know?
Then things have changed quickly
But I want to keep doing music. I like it.
I also want to try artistic fields
So I'm still considering what to do
You know, I'm 10 years older than you
But I'm still not sure what I want to do
Career is not about accomplishing things
It's about keep considering how to live
Life is about the process?!
Don't get worried about your future
You just need to appreciate what you've done
I'm telling you because
I work to make video contents
I always think how great it is to have my hard works as lasting outputs
- And rappers also make those outputs - Yes
Songs, concerts, and videos. Those are all assets which last throughout their lives
You have those assets at your age, and I'm so jealous.
I think you can be proud about it.
STEP 6. Share about your hobbies
Do you like exercising?
How about drawing?
I like to look at the drawings
How about traveling?
I love traveling
Where have you traveled so far?
During college I've been to Europe
You never study?
- I gave up studying after I got into college - But why are you in your 8th year?
Cuz I gave up
So you're still in college cuz you can't graduate?
- Yes / - Really? / - Yes
- Is it funny? - No it's not funny
- Then you said it in a nice way just ago - What did I say?
You said you want to study more
- We were not close then - Oh we're close now
Now I can be honest. I CANNOT graduate
Are you a good student?
...cut this out plz
- Do you sleep at school or not - I'm doing my best on music and studying!
- I mean do you sleep at school or not - Mom are you watching? I'm trying hard to be a good student
I'm doing my best. But you know...
there are so many straight-A students. I'm relatively...
But they can't do hip-hop
- Right? / -Right / - Okay!
STEP 7. Compliment each other
First I think there're lots of things I should learn from you
All of a sudden?
Hip-hop is about openly expressing one's thoughts
- I do so, right? - You're hip-hop / I'm hip-hop honestly
- Like foreign hip-hop - Right? / - You don't hesitate
Give me some advice
I don't think I qualify to give you advice
Why? You lived 10 years longer
You'd know what's worthless and what to try harder...
I might sound bossy...but bare with me for a minute
- I like serious talks - Okay. I'll finish in a minute
- You're happy now doing things that you like, right? - Right
But someday you'll need to do things that you don't like
- Yes - I think, when you keep only doing things that you like
you become less capable of doing things that you don't like
So you might not do things you don't like, even if you should. That's what I did.
I think you should develop your endurance
I think that's a necessary advice for me, honestly
STEP 8. Show your honest weaknesses
My weakness is that I'm moody
Isn't it good for artists?
But it's getting worse these days
I guess it's because I always try to do everything perfect.
But aren't you like that too?
Like you don't want to study anymore when you think it's not perfect
Yes. I'm an extreme case
My case was really bad. I didn't want to do anything
I was obsessed with the thought that my life should be perfect
I couldn't risk to try new things
But I laid it down a few years ago
Now I think it's better to give a try
Who cares if we fail? It's better than nothing
You learning a lot?
STEP 9. Show your feelings if you want to become friends
I didn't have much expectations for today
But you're so funny
and you shared sincere advices
It was truly meaningful time for me
I didn't have much expectations too
because I didn't really know about you
I thought, "I'm not a celebrity. What can I do?"
Now I feel like there's no one in front of us
- and like we're just talking to each other - Me too / - I had a great time
- I actually had a goal today - What kind?
- We follow each other.. - Oh!
- Give me your ID - Your recent search...Giant Pengsoo
You're looking down on....Pengsoo got more followers than you!
You laughed about it
- No I didn't - That's my privacy
- No...it just stood out - Okay
I followed you back
Why are you lurking at my following list?
- You don't follow Pengsoo, but you just search him? - Cuz of ego
I started to like him late. I used to say I'm not interested.
So you're not gonna follow him unless he follows you first?
Why would Pengsoo follow me?
But BIG Naughty follows me!
I'll do my best. Let's meet again at the broadcasting station
We follow each other. Let's keep in touch
It was great to meet you!
- Ppaggue? - Okay! Look there
1, 2, 3
The First Meeting: Seo Donghyun, Kang Donghyun
Donghyun, please do the slate. 1, 2, 3!
- Oh you're both Donghyun - Yes
Think we're like-minded, right?
We don't seem close on the outside
- But you can feel it? - Yes it's like.. / - Okay
- Invisible... - Is there something?
I think we're hitting it off