Follow US:

Practice English Speaking&Listening with: Episode 3

Difficulty: 0

NARRATOR: This program is about unsolved mysteries.

Whenever possible, the actual family members

and police officials have participated

in recreating the events.

What you are about to see is not a news broadcast.

Do you have any pain anywhere?

Can you wiggle your toes for me?

Do you know your name?

Can you squeeze my hand?

You'll be OK, you're in a hospital.

Can you tell me your name?

When I first regained consciousness,

I was extremely afraid and confused.

I didn't know who any of these people were.

I didn't know if these people were

going to hurt me, whether they're going to help me.

I wanted to know who they were, where I was, who I was.

My mind just felt like a big white sheet of paper,

there was nothing there.

Fear was probably the most overriding feeling,

fear and confusion.

Everything just overpowered me.

You're in the hospital.

Do you know your name?

NARRATOR: This man has amnesia.

He is lost and alone.

He has no idea where he's from, how old is,

or even if he has a family.

Tonight on Unsolved Mysteries, we

will examine this frightening and most baffling

case of amnesia.

Found wandering in the desert nine months ago,

this young man remains frozen in a shadowy existence

of not knowing who he is, with no past and no future.

Perhaps you can help.

We also profile a twisted saga of Joe Maloney.

Maloney lured his estranged wife into drinking

a cocktail laced with poison.

She died, and he has been at large for more than 20 years.

Many believe that this ancient strip of linen, called

the Shroud of Turin, is the actual burial cloth of Jesus

Christ, and that it bears a miraculous imprint

of Christ's body.

Skeptics claim that the shroud is

a work of a masterful, medieval forgery.

Join me for this fascinating edition of Unsolved Mysteries.

[mysterious music playing]

On January 20th, 1991, a young man

was found wandering aimlessly through the desert, 30

miles from Las Vegas, Nevada.

He was dressed in three layers of clothing,

carried no identification, and had

apparently been in the desert for at least three days.

You OK?

Are you OK? - Water.

What happened?

I need water.

NARRATOR: He was rushed to a hospital,

suffering from exposure and extreme dehydration.

The patient was diagnosed with psychogenic amnesia,

a condition caused not by physical injury,

but by some traumatic emotional experience.

Can you wiggle your toes for me?

NARRATOR: While the mysterious young man quickly

regained his physical health, his memory remained

completely and totally blocked.

The hospital staff gave him the name Tyler

and enrolled him in a state funded program, which provided

a job and an apartment.

In the past nine months, several tantalizing clues

have surfaced, but Tyler is still

a man without an identity.

Tonight, he desperately hopes that someone watching

can finally tell him who he is.

Authorities in Las Vegas were baffled.

They found no one reported missing who

matched Tyler's description.

There was no record of his fingerprints with the FBI,

the Department of Defense, and his CIA, however

doctors did find two clues.

Evidence of hairline fractures in the knuckles of both hands

and what is believed to be an old gunshot

wound on his right thigh.

Otherwise, it is as if Tyler never existed.

Then another clue surfaced.

During a conversation with a fellow patient from San Diego,

California, Tyler got the eerie feeling

that he once lived there.

But the recollections were vague and lacked any detail

until he underwent hypnosis.

PAUL BEAL: Under hypnosis, it kind of sharpened the memories

that I was having and it brought pictures to them, whereas most

of my memories of the past came to me,

it just seemed like words coming out of my mouth and more

like I was looking at a piece of paper

than I was really living the memory,

and this brought life to it.

I started remembering a lot about the beaches

and different things around the beaches.

I also remembered a lot about the military bases

in San Diego.

There is North Island Naval Air Station,

there's a Coast Guard airfield right across from Lindbergh

Field, actually more like a hangar

and they have a gate that they open up and bring the planes

across Harbor Blvd there.

And I just really got a sense of belonging,

like San Diego was a place that I needed to be.

NARRATOR: Under hypnosis, Tyler also vividly

recalled flying over San Diego.

He was struck by the certainty that he

knew how to pilot an airplane.

Tyler felt that getting behind the controls of a plane

might help trigger additional memories.

Accompanied by a flight instructor,

he put his uncanny knowledge of flying to the test.

OK, let's try another turn, all right?

Got to get that nose level.

Go ahead and watch your altimeter,

just make sure it stays about the same all the way through.

NARRATOR: Finally, complete control of the plane

was given to Tyler and he brought it in for a landing.

FLYING INSTRUCTOR: There we go, not bad!

NARRATOR: The instructor concluded

that, although a little rusty, Tyler

had definitely flown before.

As time passed, more intriguing clues emerged.

Although Tyler cannot remember his own name, incredibly,

he can single-handedly dismantle and rebuild a sophisticated

race car engine.

He also possesses highly developed

skills at scuba diving, martial arts, and computer programming.

Perhaps most intriguing of all is

Tyler's detailed and intimate knowledge of the bombing

mechanisms found on the Navy's A-6 attack plane.

Many clues suggest that Tyler has some kind

of military background.

But no record of this man discovered in the desert

last January has been found with the Navy or any other branch

of the service.

PAUL BEAL: I'm really kind of at a difficult point in my life

right now, where I can't move ahead with myself,

I can't get on with my life.

I can't do anything, really, I'm almost like an illegal alien


I have no identification of any form now.

I can't go to work because I am not

eligible for a social security number,

I can't drive a car because I don't have a social security

number or date of birth, and I'm starting to feel more

frustrated as the days go by, because I really

feel this needs to come to an end,

I do need to find out who I am.

NARRATOR: A county psychiatrist diagnosed Tyler

as a genuine victim of amnesia.

Last month, this case took on added urgency

when the state funding, which provided his job and apartment,

was abruptly cut off.

Then on the night of our broadcast,

Tyler's search for his identity came

to a poignant but unsettling conclusion.

Within minutes, Tyler was reunited with his mother

by phone, but as more details emerged,

some began to believe that Tyler may not

have lost his memory at all.

That evening, Tyler gathered all his friends to watch the show.

Before his segment even aired in Las Vegas, a man from Boise,

Idaho called our telecenter and identified Tyler as his son.

Unsolved Mysteries immediately contacted Tyler.

Yes, sir.

PRODUCER: Sorry it took so long but everything

that I was looking to cross referenced,

and we have located your family for you.

You have.

PRODUCER: Yes, I have located your dad, and your mother,

and your wife, who you've been separated

from since February of 1990.

And they've informed me that you also have two children.

And your wife lives in Iowa, your mother lives in Iowa,

and your dad lives in Idaho, OK. So I want to--

NARRATOR: Tyler learned that his real name is Arthur Paul Beal,

but he goes by Paul.

He is 23 years old, and before he was stricken with amnesia,

he lived in Boise, Idaho.

A few minutes later, a nervous Paul Beal

called the mother and stepfather he could not remember.


May I speak with Mrs. Beal?

LYNN BEAL (ON PHONE): This is Mrs. Beal.

This is your son.

LYNN BEAL (ON PHONE): How are you?

You sound great.

I've waited so long for you to talk.

I miss you.

I'm scared.

LYNN BEAL (ON PHONE): I bet you are.

I don't remember you.


I don't remember you.

LYNN BEAL (ON PHONE): I'll help you, Paul.

NARRATOR: The emotional phone call lasted nearly 20 minutes.

LYNN BEAL (ON PHONE): You be strong, OK?

And I'll talk to you real soon.


OK, honey.



NARRATOR: A short time later, the case of Paul Beal, a.k.a.

Tyler Doe, took a stunning and unexpected twist.

What's your date of birth?

I don't know.

You don't know what your date of birth is?

No sir, I don't, I never needed it.

NARRATOR: North Las Vegas police arrived and placed Paul

under arrest for grand larceny.

He was wanted by Boise police in connection

with a stolen shipment of frozen food.

How long have you had amnesia?

Um, nine months.

How do you remember that if you've got amnesia?

Hi, I've come to get my son.

NARRATOR: The next night, Paul's mother,

Lynn Beal, arrived from Iowa to post bail for him.

Their reunion was both emotional and awkward.

Paul Beal still did not recognize his own mother.

I don't remember you.

You will, it will just take time.

LYNN BEAL: It's strange being with Paul

and his not remembering anything about me, not knowing who I am.

I just, I want to push everything into his head,

make him remember everything.

I want to make sure I can do things to help him.

I'm scared, I don't want to do something

to push it back farther.

I want to reinforce happy thoughts, good memories.

I just want him to know I love him, we all love him.

And I'm relieved that he's safe, he's alive.

NARRATOR: The reunion was tempered

not only by Paul's amnesia, but by the criminal charge

against him.

In Boise, Paul was a salesman for a food supply company.

On January 5th, 1991, he left for Las Vegas

to sell a shipment of frozen food.

He never returned to Boise.

On January 25, Paul surfaced with the empty truck in Boulder

City, Nevada, where he was questioned but not arrested

by local police.

At that particular time, my impression of Mr Beal was that

he was very intelligent, very well versed,

very possibly well-educated, very clean cut,

and extremely talkative.

It just wasn't Paul.

That isn't something he would do.

He's done silly, stupid things like anybody else

has made mistakes, but nothing to the degree

that this was, where he was actually breaking the law.

I told him when he left, I says, Boise is

going to get a warrant for you.

You know, they're going to do it.

It's going to be grand larceny felony.

So it's just a matter of time, you'd better get up there,

go back up there.

He said, yeah, I'm going back now.

I'm going right back up there and take care of the situation,

it'll be fine.

NARRATOR: Three days after he was detained,

Paul Beal, who came to be known as Tyler,

was found wandering in the desert.

Detective Baughman raises the obvious and disturbing

question, is Paul Beal faking?

Amnesia's easy.

I don't know.

Who are you? I don't know.

Where're you from?

I don't know.

Do you know anything?

I don't know.

That's just easy.

And for a guy like him, he's convincing.

Is this the four of you?

Uh huh, at Thanks giving.

This still isn't my son in the fact

that this isn't how he would react to me.

We were very close.

I could tell by his eyes when I first saw him tonight that he

really didn't recognize me.

He wanted to, I could see it in his face, he wanted to.

If he was faking it, there was no way

he could have faked that.

Am not and have not, throughout this entire ordeal,

faked anything.

This is probably the most horrifying nightmare

that anybody could go through losing

an identity, losing every ounce and fiber of a person's life.

Having it pulled away and then nine months later,

have it given back to you or have it presented to you,

but you still don't have it.

And I'd give anything in the world to remember right now.

NARRATOR: Next, an international fugitive

is wanted for the cold blooded poisoning of his own wife.

In March of 1967, 27-year-old June Maloney of Rochester,

New York, walked out on her husband

Joseph after five years of emotional and physical abuse.

What about the kids?

JUNE MALONEY: Don't worry about the kids.

NARRATOR: In an informal agreement,

June assumed custody of the couple's two young children.

Joe was allowed to visit whenever he wished.

NEAL DUNKLEBERG: June confided in me that Joe had roughed

her up a couple of times.

He didn't hit her, she wasn't bruised,

but he wasn't above, with his flaring, Irish temper,

of turning bright red and jumping around, hollering

and yelling and looking very dangerous,

and perhaps grabbing hold of you and shaking you.

And that's pretty intimidating.

So Neal, suppose I wanted to kill a dog.

What kind of poison could I use that couldn't be traced?

NARRATOR: Several weeks after June moved out,

Joe Maloney paid Neil Dunkleberg an unexpected visit.

Neil, an amateur chemist, had set up

a laboratory in the basement of his mother's home.

--Something like arsenic or cyanide.

Now the trouble is they're very difficult to calibrate.

NEAL DUNKLEBERG: He told me that there was a dog who

was continuously tipping over his garbage cans

and giving him fits.

And he would like to poison the dog,

but he was a little shaky about doing this

because it belonged to a policeman

that lived in his neighborhood.

--In it's purest form as I have it here,

or as you would get it in a chemical supply company,

it would leave no trace.

NARRATOR: Joe showed interest in one particular chemical,

a clear liquid which is odorless,

tasteless, and lethal when ingested in sufficient amounts.

NEAL DUNKLEBERG: When Joe comes in and picks my mind

about something like this, immediately afterward,

I would started thinking, why did he want to know that?

And I got cautious.

I went up and I double locked the side door

that led into my laboratory.

And I informed the members of my family

that no one was to go into my lab.

To keep everybody out, and especially to keep Joe out.

Josie thank you so much, I appreciate

you letting me down here like this, you're a lifesaver.

I don't know, Joe, I hope this is OK--

NEAL DUNKLEBERG: Unfortunately, it didn't work.

My younger sister was at home two weeks later, perhaps,

and Joe showed up at the house and sweet talked her

into letting him into my laboratory

because he had to sterilize some instruments.

That's all I need.


That's it?

That's it.

All done.

NARRATOR: Two weeks later, June arrived at Joe's house

for their son's fifth birthday party.

Joe offered June a drink and she stayed at the party

for two hours.

Here you are.

Oh, thank you.

You know, Joey told me this was

his best birthday party ever.


It's fine, Joe.

Glad you stayed?

It's a real nice party.

WANDA MORDENGA: During the time that she was at Joe's

for the party, she had called up and she was kind of like wound

up different than when she left.

And I had asked her, I said June, I said,

how many drinks did you have?

And she says Wanda, I only had two.

And so she went to her apartment.

A little while later, I went over to check on her

and I asked her if she wanted me to stay with her.

She says no, she said that was not necessary.

She didn't feel quite well and she was going to go to bed.

NARRATOR: The next morning, Wanda Mordenga

was surprised to find Joe Maloney and a doctor

in the hall outside Joe's apartment.

Is everything all right here?

June isn't feel too well, so I called the doctor over,

she's going to be fine.

I think I'll go check on her.

No, I don't think that's a good idea right now, Wanda.

That's perfectly fine, Mr. Maloney.

I'll just say a couple of minutes.

WANDA MORDENGA: When I went in to check on June, she was there

and we were in the bedroom talking.

And she didn't want me to leave her alone with Joe,

she wanted me to stay with her.

That was quite definite, she wanted me to stay with her,

so I did.

So what did the doctor say?

He said he thought it was food poisoning,

but I think it's something else.

WANDA MORDENGA: All of a sudden she stopped and it was like a--

I would almost have to say a fear look in her eyes.

And I looked over, and Joe was standing in the doorway.

Can I get you anything, June?

No, thank you.

What are you doing?

I'm just going to the bathroom to get some aspirin.


I'll get you the aspirin.

WANDA MORDENGA: She got up and walked around a little bit,

went into the bathroom, and he followed behind her.

I told you before, I don't want you here.

Look Joe, I'm just trying to help.

Who wants your help?

June is a friend of mine.

Joe, I want her help.

If you want to do something for me, go to the store

and get me some pop.


I'll get the prescription filled too.

NARRATOR: The next day, June lapsed into a coma

and was immediately hospitalized.

Despite a battery of tests, doctors could find no cause

for her rapid deterioration.

According to Wanda Mordenga, the situation appeared hopeless.

Joe Maloney seemed unruffled by his wife's condition.

He offered his own explanation.

Doctor, my marriage has been on the rocks

for about six months now.

We're separated, not living together.

Lately she's been despondent, depressed,

not getting along with people at work,

being irritable with my son.

I think there's a possibility that she might've

attempted suicide here.

WANDA MORDENGA: Joe had tried to convince me

that June had commit suicide.

And he told me that I shouldn't talk to anybody about anything.

I didn't think she would commit suicide.

I really wasn't-- but I was afraid that they would,

somehow, they would make it look like that.

NARRATOR: June Maloney never regained consciousness.

On June 5th, 1967, she died.

An autopsy determined that June had ingested

a lethal dose of the same type of chemical Joe

had taken from Neal's lab.

Four hours after his wife's death,

Joe Maloney was arrested and charged

with first degree murder.

It was--

I thought she would get better, but she never did.

It was a shock.

I couldn't believe that it happened,

that he would do that to her.

NARRATOR: Against his attorneys advice,

Maloney has to be committed to the Rochester

State Mental Hospital for psychiatric evaluation.

The court granted his request.

Authorities were unaware that Joe Maloney

he had once worked at the hospital

and was familiar with the layout.

On September 25, 1967, less than two weeks

after he was admitted, Joe Maloney

escaped from the hospital and disappeared.

Five years later and more than 3,000 miles away,

authorities in Dublin, Ireland were

called to investigate a burglary at the home

of Mr Michael O'Shea.

Morning sir, Constable Devani, this is Constable McCormack.

WENDY EVANS LEHMANN: The police apparently

already knew Michael O'Shea.

He didn't have any criminal record in Ireland,

there was no allegation of criminal wrongdoing

on his part, but they were looking

for the burglars prints.

All the people who were in the house

obviously weren't the burglar, so they

wanted to be able to eliminate those prints

from the prints taken.

Do you mind if we check the mantle piece

and the desk for fingerprints?

Oh no, not at all.

Do you mind if we take your own?

My own?

For elimination purposes, it's standard procedure.

Oh, well fine.

CAPT. REISS: He allowed him to take his fingerprints.

Well this detective went right into his office

and sent it in to Interpol, and he had a hit.

NARRATOR: Investigators were stunned

to discover that Michael O'Shea's fingerprints

matched Joseph Maloney's.

Incredibly, the twisted odyssey of Joseph Maloney was not over.

He could not be arrested because Ireland

and the United States had no extradition agreement.

But in 1984, the Irish Parliament

did pass an extradition treaty.

After 18 years at large, Joseph Maloney, a.k.a.

Michael O'Shea, was finally taken into custody.

He was held without bail, all the while steadfastly

denying that he Joseph Maloney.

The suspect remained incarcerated for 14

months at Mount Joy prison outside Dublin.

He refused to cooperate with the authorities

and did not allow himself to be photographed.

Then in 1986, the Irish-american Extradition Treaty

was voided because of a legal technicality.

On July 24th of that year, Joseph

Maloney walked out of prison and disappeared, perhaps forever.

When we return, the intriguing mystery of the Shroud of Turin.

Could it be the actual burial of Jesus Christ?

The face of Christ.

Jesus of Nazareth.

His life and death have inspired artists through the ages.

But how did they know what Jesus looked like?

For more than 13 centuries, depictions of Jesus

have been remarkably similar to one another.

Yet The Bible does not contain a single word

of physical description.

Many people think this piece of linen holds the key.

It is called the Shroud of Turin.

According to the Bible, Jesus was wrapped in fine linen

after he was taken from the cross.

Many believe the Shroud of Turin is the actual burial

cloth of Jesus Christ, and that through some miracle,

his image was imprinted on his threads.

This is the shroud.

It is 3 and 1/2 feet wide and 14 feet long.

The brown marks and lines on either side of the image

are the results of a fire.

After the fire, these triangular patches were sewn on by Nuns.

This Renaissance painting shows how the 14 foot long shroud

would have covered the body of Jesus, front and back.

On the second half of the shroud,

there is a rear image showing a man of powerful build, 5 feet

10 inches in height.

The faint imprints between the scorch marks

are the source of hundreds of years of controversy.


began to study the Shroud of Turin,

I was convinced it was a crock and that it would

take me probably less than two hours

to put away this pious fraud.

After all, anyone with an IQ of 100 or over

knows that all relics by definition are frauds.

But I must admit, here I am some 17 years later, I who came

to scoff have stayed to pray.

My own personal belief is that the shroud

is probably authentic.

NARRATOR: The shroud was first exhibited

publicly in Lirey, France around 1355

A.D. in the Renaissance period.

No one seemed to know where it had come from.

Eventually the shroud was acquired

by the royal house of Savoy.

In 1578 A.D., they moved it to Turin, Italy

where it was rarely shown in public.

In 1898, the Savoy's allow the shroud

to be photographed for the first time

by a man named Segunda Pilla.

Surprisingly, his photographic negatives

showed more detailed than could be seen by the naked eye.

ALBERT DREISBACH, JR. He was to write of this experience years

later and would never forget that as he lifted that glass

plate, he believed that he was the first person in 2000 years

to have seen the face of Jesus of Nazareth.

From that point on, the Shroud of Turin and

became more and more an object of scientific inquiry.

Doctor Robert Buckland, a forensic pathologist,

has examined size photographic negatives of the shroud,

looking for wounds that might correspond to the crucifixion.

The body shows a number of injuries.

On the head, we see a series of blood stains

around the forehead, high in the scalp,

and along the posterior portion of the scalp.

These are consistent with the application of a crown

or a cap of thorns.

On the chest area, there is a rather unique wound.

It is quite consistent with a puncture type wound made

by an implement which entered the chest

cavity and produced an outflow of both blood and water.

In the region of the left wrist, there is a puncture wound,

which was clearly made by some implement

which passed into the tissues of the wrist

and produced bleeding.

NARRATOR: The crucifixion of Jesus

has traditionally been depicted with nails

driven through his palms.

If it is real, why would the shroud show puncture

wounds through the wrists?

Surprisingly, modern research has confirmed

that at the time of Jesus' death,

nails were in fact driven through the victim's wrists.

ALBERT DREISBACH, JR. Dr. Pierre Barbe, a French surgeon

long ago, proved that a nail through the palm

would not support the weight of the body.

The Romans did enough of these, sometimes 500 a day,

to be excellent anatomists.

And like a butcher, they knew where the bones were.

They put it in the wrist and it held the body and held it well.

GINO ZANINOTTO: [speaking italian]

TRANSLATOR: From the studies I've made on Roman crucifixion,

I've been able to prove that the shroud is an authentic image

of Roman crucifixion, whereas the medieval, this form

of crucifixion, was unknown.

NARRATOR: According to many, the Shroud of Turin is authentic.

The hold that it has somehow survived for nearly 2000 years,

that it's stained with the blood of Jesus,

and bears a miraculous imprint of his body.

However some scientists believe that the imprint on the shroud

is more likely a masterful work in medieval French

or Italian art.

A painting with brush stroke so delicate they cannot

be seen by the naked eye.

A controversy about the shroud's origins

has taken on all the earmarks of an obsession,

for believers and skeptics alike.

In 1978, the shroud was made available to a number of

scientists for the first time.

Using particles lifted from the shroud with adhesive tape,

biophysicist John Heller and chemist Alan Adler

determined that there was blood on the cloth.

Further, their analysis showed chemical

composition reflecting severe torture

consistent with crucifixion.

Their findings, however, are not universally accepted.

When I first started working on it,

I expected it to be authentic.

I looked for body fluids as the way I started.

But the red turned out to be red ochre,

and another pigment, vermilion.

These are common artist pigments.

There's no question, in my mind, that it is a painting.

Many copies of the shroud were made.

It was felt by pious people at that time,

if you touch the copy to the original,

it would give the copy extra sanctity.

It's called a brandium is the technical name.

When they were touched, of course, some of that pigment

ended up on the shroud.

And that is what has been discovered,

but it is not responsible for the image,

let alone the whole body image, total front and total back.

NARRATOR: Doctor Max Frei, renowned Swiss botanist

who died in 1983, also examined tape samples.

He discovered plant pollen trapped

in the threads of the shroud.

These microscopic organisms have hard shells

that allow them to survive for thousands of years.

Dr. Frei found several pollens in the shroud

that were not native to Europe.

In a documentary made five years before his death,

Frye stated that most of the pollens

came from the Middle East, including

the area around Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.

Oddly, some of the pollens came from the region

we now know as Turkey.

The presence of such a significant number of pollens

from plants growing in Turkey leads me

to one fundamental conclusion.

At some time of its history the shroud

must have been exposed to the air in southern Turkey

or the surroundings of Istanbul.

NARRATOR: If the shroud is genuine,

could it have been taken to Turkey after Jesus' death

and kept there for more than 1,000 years?

Some believe the answer lies in a centuries old legend, which

originated in the Turkey city of Edessa.

Around the year 33 A.D., the King, Abgar, fell ill.

He had heard of Jesus' power to kill and sent for him.

The King was not aware that Jesus was already dead.

One of his disciples arrived instead,

carrying a mysterious image of the face of Christ.

The King was immediately cured, and the image came to be

known as the Edessa cloth.

ALBERT DREISBACH, JR. It was then known only as a face cloth

because a key word in ancient documents,

tetradiplon, which means doubled in four.

If you double the shroud in four,

you end up with a little rectangle

with a face in the middle.

NARRATOR: Many believe that the Edessa cloth was the shroud,

folded and partially covered to show only the face,

because grave clothes were considered untouchable.

The Edessa cloth was eventually brought to Constantinople, now


In 1204 A.D., crusader's sacked the city

and the cloth vanished.

150 years later, the shroud surfaced in France.

Are the pollens found by Max Frei proof

that the shroud was brought to France by returning crusaders?

I think it's impossible.

I'm in an awkward spot at this point,

because Max Frei was a friend of mine.

But I think that he wanted the shroud

to be real so badly that he found pollen

grains, which I didn't find.

I had another set of tapes and I did not find the same pollens.

NARRATOR: Optical specialist Kevin Moran

claims that computer studies reveal the unique qualities

of the image on the shroud.

When I take a normal photograph, such as this child,

and I place the child under the analyzer,

you can immediately see a very distorted figure.

The nose, with respect to the cheek, is totally distorted.

And this is because this is a reflected image.

This image is made by reflected light.

This is not what we see on the shroud.

The shroud is a very different type of image.

The image immediately comes into a three dimensional form.

The eyes and nose, mouth relationship,

are all clearly recognizable.

The image on the shroud is so unique

that it almost enters a scientific faith

factor all by itself.

Many people believe that the Resurrection caused a burst

of radiation, when the body was transformed

to its new existence.

This burst of radiation marked the shroud

in this incredible image.

There simply is no way that we can duplicate

this image even today.

Even now.

And people have certainly tried.

NARRATOR: Investigative journalist Joe Nickel

created this pigment on cloth facsimile of the face

on the shroud.

Nickel's image is very similar in appearance

to the Shroud of Turin.

Under the computer analyzer, it does exhibit some,

but not all, of the characteristics

displayed by the shroud image.

This is the Joe Nickel's painting.

Of note, the height of the hair and the height

of the forehead, the nose, cheek,

these are all quite at the same height.

There no proportioning or no shading.

Here's a man of the shroud.

Notice particularly that the nose is sticking

above the rest of the face.

Here are the cheeks.

The proportions of the cheeks to mouth to chin area,

in respect to the nose, are quite good.

In the forehead, and across the forehead,

notice how the hair actually stands up

a little bit, but not too much.

NARRATOR: Bolstering Moran's work,

believers say the fact that no brush

strokes appear on the shroud proves it is not a painting.

Skeptics point out that Leonardo da Vinci's brushstrokes

were often invisible.

Some maintain that the shroud we know today

was painted by Leonardo and commissioned

by the Savoy family.

In her diary, the last widow of the house of Savoy

wrote that she believed the shroud was not authentic.

In an effort to resolve this centuries old controversy,

the Vatican allowed samples to be cut from the outer edges

of the shroud in 1988.

Each of three universities were provided with a tiny piece

of linen for carbon dating.

Dr. Paul Damon at the University of Arizona

headed the carbon dating team in the United States.

Their findings placed the shrouds origin

between 1290 and 1360 A.D.

PAUL DAMON: Within less than five minutes,

we could see that it could not possibly be first century.

The difference between 14th century and first century

is so great that you could see it within a few minutes

in the first measurement.

We made quite a few measurements, something

like 16, but that was enough.

The rest of us would say we have no disagreement

with what they dated.

But are you sure you dated the main body of the shroud?

Or might you have dated a patch or a reweave?

My co-principal investigator, who is Irish from an Irish

Catholic family, and tried to be quite blase about the whole

process, looked very dejected.

And I said, Doug what's wrong?

And he said, I didn't think I'd be disappointed,

but I'm terribly disappointed.

The Vatican accepted the results of Paul Damon's carbon dating.

At the same time, carbon dating tests

done in Switzerland and England confirmed Damon's findings.

In 1989, the Vatican issued a statement,

allowing that the shroud was a suitable object

for meditation and veneration.

But the statement did not dispute

the carbon testing results.

On August 18th, 1990, the Vatican

agreed to accept proposals for a new round of scientific tests

on the Shroud of Turin.

The proposals could possibly include new carbon dating.

But perhaps scientific analysis, no matter how

fascinating or controversial, misses the point

of the Shroud of Turin.

For true believers, further testing

will make little difference.

For them, the shroud has always been simply a matter of faith.

Next, authorities need your help to solve the brutal murder

of an elderly grandmother.

The tranquil rolling hills of rural Orange County,

Virginia are less than 70 miles, but a world away,

from the streets of Washington D.C.

This peaceful landscape is an ideal setting for families

looking to escape the crime and congestion

of the nation's capital.

The community of Burr Hill consists

of little more than a post office and a few homes.

For Ethel Kidd and her husband Gilbert,

the township seemed the perfect refuge from the big city.

They bought a plot of land in Burr Hill and in 1988,

began building a retirement home.

For Ethel Kidd, the move was a dream come true.

Her children and grandchildren lived in the area,

and at 61 years of age, much of Ethel's life

centered around her family.

She was a good person, she was liked by everybody.

She liked to cook.

She liked to have cookouts and picnics

and she just enjoyed life.

NARRATOR: Wednesday, April 12th, 1989

brought the promise of an ordinary day in the country.

The house was nearly complete and Ethel was spending

most of her time in Burr Hill.

That morning, she visited her daughter who

lived less than a mile away.

Ethel returned home and was seen checking her mailbox shortly

after 2:00 PM.

There was nothing to suggest the sinister events

which we're about to unfold.

Thursday, the next morning, my wife

called her mother about 7:30 and the answering machine answered.

And she said, that's funny, mom must left early.

Either she's on the way here to have a cup of coffee.

But 9:30, I rode by and I saw the car there.

Something hit me that something was wrong

if she didn't answer the phone.

I saw this book and I saw that it was an atlas, a map.

And I just picked it up and carried it with me,

I thought maybe Ethel may have dropped it.

When I opened the door, that's when

my heart come up in my throat.

That's when I knew something was wrong.

It hit me, that--

you know, she would never leave the door unlocked.

She always had the door locked, even during the day.


Ethel, are you here?

NARRATOR: Not only was there no sign of Ethel,

there was no sign of burglary or foul play.

Everything in the house was eerily in place,

as if Ethel had been there one moment

and then simply vanished the next.

With no other leads, authorities mobilized a large task force.

Law enforcement officers fanned out from Ethel's home,

and acre by acre painstakingly searched the woods and fields.

There was still no sign of Ethel Kidd.

Eight days later, less than three miles from home,

a local hunter came across a shocking sight

in the same area, which had been thoroughly

searched the previous week.

It was the body of Ethel Kidd, bound

to a tree in an upright position,

facing a logging road less than 50 feet away.

Investigators determined that Ethel had been strangled.

They also found evidence of sexual assault

and estimated that she had been dead for around seven days.

SHERIFF FAULCONER: This area had been searched by land and air.

She was definitely not at that location earlier in the week.

The killer is extremely brazen to bring a body back

to the area where it was kidnapped from

and place it in a position so as it would be found.

Facing a road, just off of a State Road and just off

of a logging road.

It's even as if he may have been taunting the police, saying,

catch me if you can.

NARRATOR: It seemed obvious that Ethel

Kidd had been kept in storage after she was killed.

Surprisingly, there were no signs of decomposition.

The medical examiner stated that in his opinion,

from the evidence that he found in his examination,

that she had been kept in an insect free,

climate controlled condition.

Which could mean refrigeration, either stationary or mobile.

NARRATOR: The authorities theorized that the body could

have been kept in a refrigerated truck, an ice house, or a walk

in freezer.

Other clues soon emerged.

Ethel had been bound with a type of drapery cord used

in hotels and hospitals, but not available

to the general public.

Car upholstery fibers were recovered from Ethel's clothes.

But the main focus of the investigation centered

on several items tucked inside the road Atlas

found in Ethel's front yard.

These two sheets of paper from a national hotel chain

contains sexually suggestive messages.

Investigators surmised that the notes

had been used as flashcards to solicit

sex along the interstate.

The most chilling discovery was a handwritten list of seven

items also found in the Atlas.

Police suspected that it was a meticulous blueprint

for murder.

Line two, for instance, listed clothing

and accessories which may have been used for a disguise.

Line three read ID, ASAP.

Paper Trip book.

The authorities were aware of a book entitled

a Paper Trip, which details how a person can

obtain a new identity.

Item four simply read Choose Location.

Item five was perhaps the most baffling of all.

It listed the abbreviations H.C., T.P., and S.G.

SHERIFF FAULCONER: The best that we can come up

with would be handcuffs, tape, and either surgical gloves

or stun gun.

This individual it is a methodical, very

particular, cunning individual.

He is a loner.

That he is a white male, probably between 35 and 45

years old, and that he has not had successful relationships

with females.

We have to assume that this individual does traveling

and stays in motels, which could be

consistent with an interstate trucker or a sales person.

NARRATOR: Ethel Kidd was extremely security conscious.

Authorities theorized that the assailant

may have devised a clever scheme which would not alarm her.

Quite possibly, he used the road atlas to create the impression

that he was lost.

Excuse me.

I'm lost, can you show me where Culpepper is?

SHERIFF FAULCONER: This was a very cunning, devious,

planned, calculated murder.

Because of leaving clues, bringing the body back,

just the way that he did everything in this case

and hasn't been caught, yes, it's my opinion

that he will kill again.

Hopefully if he gets put away for doing this,

that it won't be done to anybody else,

because nobody deserves to be done like this.

Nobody deserves to die like this.

[mysterious music playing]

The Description of Episode 3