Practice English Speaking&Listening with: 【生活休閒英文】#6 六個直白的中翻英錯誤 // 如何選擇練口說管道? Six commom mistakes people make

Normal
(0)
Difficulty: 0

Yo, Catherine! What up? 嘿Catherine!

Hey! I'm doing great! How's it going with you? 嘿!我很好啊,你咧?

Busy as usual, you know, YouTuber style 一樣忙啊,你也知道,YouTuber都很忙

Oh...yeah...Do you have a minute? Cause I got this fantastic idea (of) doing a collab video talking about the.. 喔對...你有空嗎?因為我有一個超棒的合作影片想法關於...

Wait, wait, you know what, I'm actually quite tied up right now 等等,我其實現在有點忙

So, maybe I'll call you back, I'll call you next year. Alright, see you, bye! 所以,我等等再打給你好嗎?我明年再打給你,掰!

It's alright, I can take it. You're not the only person that I know who speaks English, okay! 沒關係,我可以承受得了。你又不是我唯一認識會講英文的人!

Fake ABC! 假ABC!

I can find other teachers, qualified teachers to talk about it with me 我可以找其他老師,合格的老師跟我一起聊這個話題

Recently I started to use Cambly to practice my English speaking 最近我開始用Cambly練習英文口說

You might be surprised, like 你可能會驚訝想說

Are you kidding me? Aren't you a teacher? Do you need this? 你在開玩笑嗎?你不是老師嗎?你需要這樣練嗎?

No, no, no, you're wrong 不不不,你錯了

One big thing about English is that you can not just flick a switch to say 關於英文一個很重要的事情是

oh I want to practice English this week and then stop for the next week 你不能隨便說喔我這禮拜要開始唸英文但下禮拜卻停了

It's a non-stop process. 它是一個不間斷的過程

You should keep yourself open to practicing all the skills 你應該讓自己隨時都保持有在練習的狀態

and utilizing all the opportunities 然後善加利用各種機會練習

Once you stop, it doesn't just stop, you know 一旦你停了,不只是學英文的過程停了

it might regress, that's a terrifying thing 它很有可能退步,這是非常可怕的一件事

I found Olivia on Cambly, she speaks with an American accent 我在Cambly上找到Olivia, 她講的是美式發音

We have so much in common 我們很合得來

and I feel comfortable talking with her and have been practicing with her ever since 而且和她講話讓我覺得很放鬆,所以從那時就開始和她練習

Let's call her. 我們來打給她吧

Hi, how's it going? 哈囉!妳好嗎?

Good! 很好啊

Can you tell everybody a little bit about herself? 妳可以和大家介紹一下妳自己嗎?

Sure! My name is Olivia. I grew up in the U.S. I live in California 當然!我叫Olivia,我在美國長大,現在住在加州

hat are the countries that most of your students are from? 妳大部分的學生都來自哪些國家?

Let's see. Saudi Arabia seems to be the No. 1 我看看,沙烏地阿拉伯應該是第一多的

Also get people from India, China, Korea 還有印度、中國、韓國(的學生)

I'm actually doing a video talking about the common mistakes that people make 我在做一個影片關於大家最常用錯的英文

The twist is that I'm going to say it in the wrong way 但我們來玩一個就是我會說錯的英文

and see if you can guess the meaning of it, okay? 然後看看你能不能猜出來是什麼意思,好嗎?

Okay! Alright, the first one is 好!第一個是

I'm so hi...no no no 我好ㄏ...等等

wait, wait, I should avoid my emotions in case I make it too easy for you to guess 我應該不帶任何情緒講,免得讓妳太好猜

I'm so high.

I'm so high.

Okay, I will guess that you're trying to say 好,我試試看,我猜你應該是要說

you're spirits are high, that you're happy? 你覺得很興奮你很開心?

Yeah! How do you know that? 對!你怎麼知道?

When you're happy or you're spirits are high 你很開心或是你很興奮高興的時候

can we say, "I'm so high", "you're so high", "everybody is so high" 我們可以說:"I'm so high", "you're so high","everybody is so high"嗎?

No. At least, in the U.S, if you say I'm so high it means that you have done some drugs 不會,在美國,你若說I'm so high,意思是你有嗑藥

Yeah, exactly! 對,沒錯!

What is the right way to say that? 正確應該要怎麼說?

like we went to a party and everybody had a lot of fun 比如說我們去一個派對大家玩得很開心

and the vibe was going on so well, we enjoyed the vibe 然後氣氛很好,大家很享受

It's like: We had a blast 我們會說:We had a blast

Yeah, we had a blast 對,We had a blast

We had a great time 我們玩得很開心

So this is the first mistake that people make 所以這是第一個大家常用錯的英文

Let's come to the second one 第二個是

You're local.

Local? Or...?

Local. Okay. 是local

I don't understand what you're supposed to say 我不知道你想要講什麼

Local, which in Spanish means crazy local聽起來西班牙文是瘋瘋的意思

Really? No 真的嗎?不是

I was like, do you mean crazy? 我還想說,是指瘋瘋的意思嗎?

It has nothing to do with craziness 和瘋瘋癲癲一點關係都沒有

May be the way the person dresses is not classy or is not fashionable 有可能一個人穿的不是很有氣質或不時髦

then people might say, you're local 那別人就會說,you're local

It's not good to be local 被說local不太好

Yeah...it's not...well, some people think that is the essence, the spirit of being Taiwanese people 不好,不過有些人會覺得這是一個台灣人的精神、精髓

Some people think it's good and they want to you know, keep "that thing" 有些人覺得很好,然後想要,你懂嗎,保持那個感覺

the "localness" 保持那個台味

But some people try to avoid... 但有些人想要避掉

But the way you're laughing 但妳笑得很...

I don't know what is the right way... I'm trying to use the right term to say that... 我不知道怎麼講比較好,我試著用適當的字...

I regret putting this one in my video. It's very hard to avoid all those attacks 我超後悔選這一個,這真的很難避免被人攻擊

What is the right way of saying it? 怎麼講才是正確的?

Okay, the English equivalent to that is a hick. 好,英文裡接近的字是hick

It's old slang, it's such old slang 這是一個比較以前比較老的俚語

that it's become kind of a very mainstream word 然後最近開始變成一個流行語

but just in casual day-to-day conversation 但是是一個加在很口語的對話裡面

Honestly, that's the only word I can think of that actually means what you're thinking of 說真的,這是我唯一想到和你想的是一樣的字

So a person from the country who is unsophisticated 所以一個來自鄉下有點鄉土味的人

Unsophisticated is the word yeah 對,Unsophisticated是我在找的字

rough around the edges, maybe doesn't have the best manners 有點不修邊幅、可能舉止沒有那麼優雅

not very cultured 沒有非常文雅

That's a hick 那就是hick

I think you're also getting in trouble with me (hahaha) with this one 我覺得你也要因為講這個跟我一樣有麻煩了

Never mind. You'll be fine, I'll be in trouble 別擔心,你會好好的,我要糟糕了

Okay, let's move on to the third one 好!現在我們來看第三個

It's too over.

It's too over?

Okay, that one I have no clue 好,這一個我完全不知道

Wait, let me guess. 等等,讓我猜

If you wear a tuxedo to 7-eleven or to any convenience stores then you'll say oh you're wearing too over! 如果你穿一件燕尾服去小七或是便利商店,那我們就會說:You're wearing too over!

Okay, so that's actually, we would say 好,這個嘛,我們會說

That's too much!

Or, you're too over the top, right?

Or as the kids say 或是,現在年輕人都會說

That's extra. He's extra. 那很誇張。他很誇張

Like, he's acting extra. 或是像,他反應很誇張

How do we use it? 要怎麼用這個字?

Or he just, he's extra about everything 或是,他(做什麼事情)都很誇張

Here, I'll write it. 我寫下來給你看

This is how extra I am 我就是這麼誇張(的一個人)

Yeah and it's pretty new slang, too, so again, I would recommend the teenagers 對,而且這也是一個很新的流行語

It's only for the teenagers and young adults 建議給年輕人用就好了

I'm pretty sure you can get this one 我確定這個你猜得出來

I'm boring

I'm bored

Well, if you say I'm boring in English it only has the second meaning 英文裡你如果說I'm boring, 那一定只有剛剛第二個意思

I'm a boring person 我是一個無聊的人

Yeah, that's all it means 對,沒有別的意思

Nobody is gonna think you're bored 沒有人會以為你要說你「感到」無聊

They're gonna think that you're putting yourself down 他們會覺得你對自己很洩氣

There's the adjective that ends with "ed" and then ends with "ing" 形容詞有分ed結尾和ing結尾的

We use adjective ending with "ing" to describe something that makes you feel that way 我們用結尾是ing的形容一個東西(事物)讓你感到怎麼樣

The "ed" one is usually used to describe people's feeling 結尾是"ed"的通常是用來形容一個人的感受

Like something that's coming from you, from my heart 就像是從你自身、發自內心的感覺

For example, I feel excited because the movie is exciting 比如說:這部電影很刺激,所以我感到很刺激

The movie makes me feel excited 這部電影讓我感到很刺激

Something like that 之類的

Frustrating, frustrated. Like I feel frustrated after a frustrating day 沮喪的,和另人感到沮喪的 比如說,這個沮喪的一天讓我感到很沮喪

So, that's the difference. 所以,差別在這裡

Try to avoid those mistakes 試著避免那些錯誤

Okay, the next one is that 好,下一個是

I took a nap in my company today 我今天在公司有睡午覺

I'm gonna guess you mean 我猜你是要說

You took a nap at work

Yeah, at work 對,應該是用at work

In the Chinese translation, company has the same meaning as at work or at the office 在中文解釋裡,companyat workat the office是一樣的解釋

In English, company means a business 英文裡,company指的是「事業體」

Yeah, so like examples are you know, Apple is a company 所以比如說,「蘋果」是一個公司事業體

But only the owner or the CEO can say "my company" 但只有這間公司的老闆或是CEO才能說"my company"

So like (if you're) the owner of the company, you can say 所以如果你是公司的老闆你才可以說

I'm going to my company

But what is the right way to say that? 那怎麼樣講才是對的?

I took a nap at work

Yeah, you should use the phrase at work 應該要用at work這個片語

Or in the office, at the office 或是in the office, at the office

at or in is fine atin都可以

at the office, in the office, yeah

Okay! Finally the last one! Okay, this one, we use it a lot! 好!終於最後一個了!這一個我們超常用!

You're loading is heavy? 你的loading很重?

What does this mean? 這什麼意思啊?

Okay, I'm gonna guess? 我要猜嗎?

For example, if you're very busy today at work 比如說,如果今天你上班很忙

and then your boss keeps giving you more work 然後你的老闆還一直給你工作

and then you might say, oh my loading is heavy 你就會說,喔,我的loading好重

My load 我的load

That's an easy fix, very easy 這個很好修改,非常簡單

Instead of loading, workload 不是loading,而是workload

Of course! Work load 對!work load

The work load is heavy today

So these are my picks for the six common mistakes that people make 所以以上就是我選出來六個最常用錯的英文

Actually my list can go on and on but I just didn't have time to finish everything 其實我清單裡還有很多項,但時間關係沒辦法全部講完

Olivia, there's one thing that bothers English learners so much, which is Olivia,有一個讓很多學英文的人困擾的點是

it is very hard to take the first step 要開始跨出第一步非常難

especially to speak up 特別是開口說這部分

Or they get so frustrated the first time they spoke to a foreigner 或是他們第一次和外國人講完話後,會有很大的挫敗感

because it is very possible that the words got stuck in their head(s) 因為單字常常卡在腦子裡

or they forgot all the words that they've learned because they are so nervous 或是因為太緊張而把單字全忘光

So how would you encourage them if that ever happens to your students? 所以碰到這種情形你會怎麼鼓勵妳的學生?

Of course! It happens to every student learning a new language 當然!所有在學一個新的語言的學生都有這種情形

So I would say to everybody learning English for the first time 所以我會對所有第一次學英文的人說

Please please be patient with yourself, don't be hard on yourself, you know 一定一定要對自己有耐心,不要太苛求自己

that anybody learning a new language goes through exactly what you're going through 每一個學新語言的人都經歷過跟你一模一樣的過程

feels embarrassed, yeah you know 覺得很不好意思

It can make you nervous and frustrated 這種情況會讓你很緊張、很洩氣

But the best way is to practice with a native English speaker 最好的方式就是和一個英文為母語的人練習

And find somebody who understands how hard it can be to learn a new language 找一個知道要學一個新語言有多困難的人

So, it's normal to make mistakes 所以犯錯是正常的

You're not gonna learn without making mistakes 沒有一直犯錯是不會學成功的

So, you know, expect that, don't judge yourself for it 所以,做好心理準備,不要為此而太自責

Just know, oh, if I'm making mistakes that means I'm learning 只要知道,如果我講錯了,那表示有在學(下次不要犯)

That's true! It's a good mindset, I totally agree with you 沒錯,這是很好的心態,我完全認同

Great! Awesome! 太好了!

I guess choosing the right person to talk, to practice is really important 我覺得選一個對的人練習口說很重要

And nowadays, there are so many ways to learn English 現在,有好多種學英文的管道

So finding a right platform becomes a really important thing 所以找一個好的平台變成一個很重要的事情

And one thing about learning English is that you have to find a platform or 學英文另一件事情是你要找一個

a way that is affordable 在你經濟範圍負擔得起的平台或是方法

so that you can come back again and again 你才可以持續的使用

So I guess Cambly is the thing that I'm doing recently 所以,Cambly才是我最近在使用的原因

And I'm so glad that I meet you on Cambly cause I feel very happy talking to you 我很開心在Cambly上認識妳,因為和你講話很開心

making all the corrections (for me) and reminding me all the mistakes that I made 糾正、提醒我的錯誤

Yeah, it can be fun, you know 對啊,會很好玩的

That's my favorite thing about it, too, is that 這也是我覺得我最喜歡的的地方

I get to meet people from all over the world 就是我可以碰到來自世界各國的人

That's very fun 非常有趣

Thank you so much Olivia, for all the sharing and all the guessing 太謝謝你了Olivia,分享了很多,和猜了很多

It was my pleasure, thanks for asking me 這是我的榮幸,謝謝邀請我

Then I guess I will definitely talk to you later 那我想我一定會再和你(約時間)聊天的

Okay, sounds good. Bye! 當然好啊,掰!

Olivia just mentioned a very good point which was to be patient Oliva剛剛提到一個很棒的點就是,要有耐性

Don't just stop after a few tryouts 不要在幾次的嘗試後就輕言放棄

As for me, my key to practicing English would be 至於我,練習英文的關鍵會是

to learn from your own mistakes 從自己的錯誤中學習

You've watched a toddler grow up, haven't you? 你看過牙牙學語的小baby長大嗎?

At first, they say all those funny words, funny things that make sense 剛開始,他們會用好笑的字說些好笑的事情

but at the same time, aren't grammatically right 你聽得懂,但會用錯字用錯句子

but the adults would correct them, and they will speak more 但是大人會糾正他們,他們再講更多

and gradually they master their mother language 最後慢慢的,他們就學會了自己的母語了

One terrific feature about Cambly is thatCambly有一個很棒的地方

they have this record thing which allows you to watch your class videos 就是這個紀錄的選項,讓你看這堂課的錄影

You can review the things you learned 你可以複習你(在這堂課)學的內容

or see how you did or how you performed when you were speaking English 或是聽聽自己講的英文、看看自己講英文的樣子

Practice saying the same thing for a few more times 練習把同樣的內容多講幾遍

and you will notice that you are getting more familiar with those sentences 你會發現你對那些句子會越來越熟練

and by doing it again and again 不段重複這種方法

You will eventually become more confident 你最終一定會越來越有自信的

And yes, you're right, this is a 業配 對的沒錯,這是業配影片

But I'm recommending it from my heart 但我是打從內心在推薦的

Honestly, I use Cambly to practice English almost every week 說真的,我每個禮拜都在Cambly上練英文

Yeah! I live in Taiwan, I'm not a native speaker, I need to practice 當然阿! 我住在台灣,我的母語不是英文,我需要練習阿!

Remember the thing I told you? The non-stop process thing? 還記得我剛剛講的吧,那個不間斷的過程?

I don't want to regress! You know! 我不想要退步啊!你懂吧!

If you're thinking about giving it a try, I got something for you 如果你動心想要試試看的話,我有個好東西要給你

Here's a code for you that gives you a free 15-minute tryout. 我提供一個讓你獲得15分鐘練習時數的優惠碼

Simply enter the code "csenglish" when you register 只要在優惠碼那欄的地方打上csenglish

and you're all set 就完成了

Alright! Be patient. 好,最後,要有耐性

And don't get frustrated too easily just because you fail for the first few times 然後不要在失敗幾次之後就輕易感到洩氣

We've all been through that, it's hard I know 我們都是過來人,我懂,那真的很難

But to be honest, it takes years to overcome it 但我老實說,克服這件事情要花好多年的時間

So, hang in there! 所以,加油!撐著點!

I'll see you guys next week, bye! 我們下週再見囉,掰!

The Description of 【生活休閒英文】#6 六個直白的中翻英錯誤 // 如何選擇練口說管道? Six commom mistakes people make