- Ooh, chocolate.
♪ (French accordion music) ♪
- (FBE) Today, we're gonna have some fun, German snacks
for you to try.
- German? Okay.
I'm really excited to try German food.
- I love to eat, eat.
- Yes! No offense to Americans.
I think it's-- in a lot of ways, it's better.
- Oh no. Always Kids vs. Food,
- Every time there's food, something bad happens.
I hope they don't taste terrible.
- I do not know much about Germany and its food.
So I have no idea what to expect. Guten tag.
- I just watched Willy Wonka, and isn't Augustus Gloop German?
I see a lot of chocolate bars.
- (FBE) Here's your first one.
- Ooh. These look like chocolate pretzels,
but there's sugar on them.
- They look like chocolate, sour pretzels.
- Looks like a pig nose. Oink, oink.
- When I press down, it feels like a jelly.
- It's hard.
The sugar, powder, salt stuff comes onto your fingers.
- Tastes like a gummy.
I don't like my stuff covered in salt and syrup
and I don't like gummies with it.
- It kinda tastes like a really sweet raisin.
I don't really like it.
The inside tastes like mint and rotten vegetables.
- It's okay.
I mean, I wouldn't have it again.
- It's like chocolate Jell-O.
I liked it. I would probably try it again.
- (FBE) These are called Haribo Pretzels.
- Ah, I knew they were pretzels.
- (FBE) They are a unique taste experience
of the black, soft licorice. - Oh.
Yeah, I don't like licorice.
- (FBE) It's a soft pretzel combining salty flavor
with sweet flavor. - Tasted like black licorice.
I never really liked black licorice.
- When you have black licorice, it tastes saltier.
- I like stuff that has flavor and the licorice
doesn't have that much flavor. I hate licorice.
- (FBE) Here is your next snack.
- Ooh, chocolate.
- Isn't that strawberry chocolate?
- "Ritter Sport."
You eat these when you're exercising or something?
You'll just be like "So healthy!"
- It's like healthy chocolate wth strawberries.
- Oh, that tastes good. The chocolate combined
with the strawberry frosting is amazing.
- That's really good. Mmm.
- Kinda tastes like strawberry yogurt's inside.
- It has that strawberry ice cream kinda flavor, but chocolatey.
It's just-- muah.
A good experience.
- Chocolate and strawberry together.
It's such a perfect, glorious, amazing flavor.
- (FBE) This is known as what we would call
Ritter Sport, but they pronounce it "Ritter Spot"
and it's a yogurt snap.
- Oh, that explains it! These taste good.
I'll just take the entire tray.
- (FBE) It's a yogurt cream combined with crunchy,
lightly sweet milk chocolate, and the one you tried
was strawberry flavored.
- Oh. I mean, it's still good.
You Germans have good taste.
- I would really want to try the other flavors
'cause this seems really good.
- I actually would've never thought of eating
chocolate with strawberry yogurt.
That actually sounds kind of gross in my mind.
Tastes good though!
- (FBE) Here's your next one.
- It looks like chips.
- They're orange.
So there might be a spicy flavor?
- They're pretty good.
- Tastes like barbecue Lay's.
- Hmm, I had these before. I think we have them at my house?
- It's not spicy at all.
I mean, there's a little kick of something in there.
- Tastes like onion rings.
- Mmm, that actually tastes really good.
Barbecue flavored chips, except better.
- Tastes just like a Lay's barbecue chip,
so I'm guessing it's called the Lay's barbecue chip,
but they call it something else.
- (FBE) These are called Paprika Crunchips.
- Paprika? Imposter chip!
- (FBE) This is a classic and widely popular chip
made in Germany with the flavor
of the sun-ripened paprika.
- And that's why it tastes so hot.
(laughs) 'Cause it's made out of sun.
- These are good, though. No wonder it's wildly popular.
- I'm surprised that I ate a whole chip.
I never eat the whole thing unless I really like it.
- (FBE) Here's your next one.
- Ooh, chocolate again.
- It's like a chocolate wafer? This reminds me of a tiny waffle.
- It looks like a waffle cookie and in the middle
it looks like a s'more.
- It kinda looks like a s'more
but you took away the marshmallow,
so it's just chocolate.
- Tastes really good.
- So I'm guessing this is a waffle cookie,
and the inside is Nutella.
- It kinda tastes like a s'more.
I think there might be nuts or something.
- It's really crunchy and then you get to the chocolate.
It's really nice and smooth.
- (FBE) So this one is called Hanuta.
It is also known as haselnuss schnitte
or "hazelnut sandwich."
- Ah, no wonder it reminded me of Nutella.
- (FBE) It's a thick layer of luscious and rich
hazelnut chocolate sandwiched between
two crisp chocolate wafers.
- These things are made out of chocolate?
Yeah, ten out of ten!
- I love chocolate so much!
- I like it. Last bite.
- (FBE) Here's your last snack.
- Are these cheese puff kind of things?
- They smell like peanuts.
- Smells like a peanut. It looks like a peanut or a Cheeto.
Behold the Cheeto peanut! (singing Superman theme)
- Tastes like a peanut. Actually tastes really good.
- Kind of like a Cheeto puff, except it's harder and better.
- It's really weird. It tastes like a peanut,
but then it has the consistency and the crunchiness of a Cheeto puff.
- It kinda reminds me of a Cheeto puff
but peanut flavored.
- (FBE) These are called erdnuss flippies.
- If I had to give these a name, I'd call them packing peanuts.
- (FBE) And they are a popular and addicting German snack
described as fresh, fluffy puffs with a fun peanut flavor.
- Well I can see why it's addicting.
- Salty peanuts.
And it tastes just like when you lick all the salt off of it.
- These ones are really good. I mean,
I could see how people like them.
American snacks are always gonna have a part of my heart,
so I don't know if these would be top notch,
but these were still good. I'd have them once in a while.
- (FBE) Which one of these German snacks
would you recommend people eat?
- I recommend Ritter Sport.
- The Erdnuss Flippies.
- Paprika Crunchips.
You guys will love it if you guys love hazelnut.
- Ritter Sport.
'Cause I like chocolate and strawberries.
- The flippies, because I like peanut butter
and it's really good.
- Ritter Sport.
German snacks are just all really good.
There wasn't really a single one that was bad,
except the first one.
- Thanks for watching this episode of Kids vs Food
on the React Channel.
- Don't forget to subscribe. We have new shows every week.
- What country should we visit next?
Let us know in the comments.
- Guten tag. Alyssa here,
a producer from the React Channel. Danke for visiting Germany
with us today.
Be sure to subscribe for more episodes
featuring your favorite countries.