- Hi Beulah.
- Hello Oriole.
- Well, the scariest thing just happened.
- What, did ya find another mouse in the washing machine?
- Aw, no, I was just catching up on some back ironing
and suddenly the iron spat at me, (spitting noise),
just like a cat.
Then the wires smoked and the lights went out.
- Oh, you just blew a fuse.
- So did my boss, Mr. Perrin.
Anyway, could I use your iron for a while?
- Oh, honey, I'm sorry but I'm so busy
I could use two spare hands.
- Well, what's happening, company?
Donnie's dancin' class is havin' a party tonight
and Mrs. Alice is chairman of the refreshment committee.
- Sounds fancy.
What's the mean?
- It means that I've got to make sandwiches and punch
and then go down there and have service.
- Excuse me, Oriole, I'll be right back.
The Henderson's residence.
- [Mrs. Herrington] This is Mrs. Herrington.
- Oh, good evening, Mrs. Herrington.
Should I fetch Mrs. Alice?
- [Mrs. Herrington] No, I'd rather you didn't.
I'd just like to leave a message.
- [Mrs. Herrington] Please tell her that
Evie's little cousin arrived in town unexpectedly
and, under the circumstances, Evie will have
to go to the dance with him.
- Will you give Mrs. Henderson that message?
- Oh, yes'm, I'll be glad to Mrs. Herrington.
- [Mrs. Herrington] Goodbye.
Donnie's been stood up.
- Well, that ain't gonna break his heart, is it?
- Well, Mrs. Alice will be upset because she wanted Donnie
to make a hit socially, and Mr. Harry'll be upset
because he just paid $41.50 for Donnie a new suit,
and I'll be upset because I've been spending
all my spare time teachin' Donnie to dance.
- Well, can't he get another date?
- Huh-uh, all the other little girl's got dates.
- Oh, I know how to get him a date.
You know Gregory?
- Ah gee, he's a dreamboat,
'cept he never give me a tumble,
even though I flirted with him more than a nice girl should.
- And what's that got to do with Donnie?
- Let's see.
Must be some connection.
Well, Gregory works for that new family
just moved into town this week
and they have a little girl, and Gregor says
she's real cute but she's lost it because she never had --
- Don't say no more, Oriole.
Just get on that phone and make a date for Donnie.
I keep tellin' people you ain't as simple as you act.
- [Gregory] Hello?
- Hello, Gregory?
This is Oriole.
- [Gregory] Well, hello Oriole.
- See, I know it's not usual to call a fella up like this,
but it's important.
- [Gregory] What's on your mind?
- Well, I'm callin' about a date.
- [Gregory] Why sure, sugar, I'll meet you Friday night
at the downtown Cafe En Grato.
- Aww, Gregory.
- [Gregory] Okay?
- Man, I'll be there.
- [Gregory] Bye.
- Did you fix the date?
- I sure did.
Say, Beulah, what you think I oughta wear?
- Oriole, you were supposed to fix a date for Donnie,
- See, I forgot all about that.
- Well, you get back on that phone
and fix that date for Donnie and forget your own love life
for a couple of minutes.