Follow US:

Practice English Speaking&Listening with: Tom Brady Describes The Day After Losing A Super Bowl

Normal
(0)
Difficulty: 0

PLEASE WELCOME THE QUARTERBACK OF THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS, TOM

BRADY!

( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE ) ( BAND PLAYING )

>> Stephen: HEY, NICE TO SEE YOU.

>> GOOD TO SEE YOU.

>> Stephen: WE PRE-SCREENED BEFORE ANYBODY CAME IN HERE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> Stephen: IT'S BEEN A MONTH SINCE THE SUPER BOWL?

>> YEP.

>> Stephen: BEEN A MONTH SINCE THE SUPER BOWL.

OBVIOUSLY, YOU'VE GOT THE FIVE RINGS, YOU KNOW, ALREADY.

IS IT AT ALL UPSETTING TO YOU THAT YOU CAN STILL WEAR ALL YOUR

RINGS ON ONE HAND?

IS THAT A BURDEN?

>> THAT HURTS, MAN.

>> Stephen: I DON'T MEAN TO HURT.

WE'RE HERE TO CELEBRATE.

>> YEAH, WE ARE.

I WAS PRETTY DISAPPOINTED.

IT WAS A TOUGH LOSS.

I HAVE BEEN PART OF THE WINNING TEAMS AND WHEN YOU LOSE, YOU

HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT COMES WIT.

IT'S A COMPETITIVE SPORT, NO ONE KNOWS THE OUTCOME.

ENDED UP BEING A GREAT GAME.

>> Stephen: YOU PLAY HARD.

WHAT DO YOU BRING TO YOUR SORT OF DEALING WITH THE LOSS?

LIKE, WHAT'S YOUR WAY OF DEALING WITH IT?

BECAUSE I KNOW YOU DON'T REALLY DRINK.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: SO WHAT IS YOUR WAY TO CALM YOURSELF DOWN?

>> CRY.

CRY MOSTLY.

( LAUGHTER ) >> Stephen: REALLY?

YEAH.

>> Stephen: DID YOU BRING PICTURES?

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A GREAT MODEL FOR YOUNG MEN TO SHARE

THEIR FEELS WHEN THEY'RE HURT, VERY POSITIVE MESSAGE.

>> I KNOW, YOU CAN'T WIN 'EM ALL.

( APPLAUSE ) >> Stephen: YEAH, CRY.

ACTUALLY, WHEN YOU WAKE UP THE NEXT MORNING, IT'S, LIKE,

WAS THAT A NIGHTMARE?

NO, PLEASE, WE CAN PLAY THIS GAME AGAIN.

>> Stephen: AT A CERTAIN POINT, DO YOU SAY TO YOURSELF,

I'VE GOT THE FIVE RINGS, DO I REALLY NEED TO WORK AT A JOB

WHERE I STAND ON A FIELD AND 300 MEN ATTEMPT TO MURDER ME WITH

THEIR BODIES.

WHAT WHERE R YOU, 340, NOW?

>> 40, YES.

I TRY TO AVOID THE 300-POUND GUYS BUT I'M THE SLOWEST GUY ON

THE FIELD SO I HAVE TO THROW THE BALL AS SOON AS I CAN AND --

>> Stephen: IT'S A GREAT INCENTIVE TO GET RID OF THE

BALL.

>> NOTHING IS GOOD WHEN I'M HOLDING MY BALL SO I HAVE TO

THROW IT AS FAST AS I CAN.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU THINKING WHEN THAT HAPPENS, OR IS IT ALL

MUSCLE MEMORY?

AS YOU FALL BACK INTO THE POCKET AND THESE GUYS ARE RUSHING AT

YOU, WHAT SIT, FIVE SECONDS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

>> AROUND TWO SECONDS.

WE TRY TO GET RID OF THE BALL PRETTY QUICK.

IT'S SUCH A GAME OF CHESS.

YOU READ THE DEFENSE.

WHEN THE BALL'S IN MY HANDS, I'VE GOT TO PICK A GUY OUT AND

LET IT FLY.

>> Stephen: IS IT POSSIBLE TO -- DO YOU LOOK AT YOUR LIFE

AND SAY, OKAY, I MAY HAVE LOST BUT MAYBE THAT'S JUST THE

BALANCE OF THE UNIVERSE BECAUSE I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL WIFE,

BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: I'VE GOT THE PERFECT DIET, EVIDENTLY.

>> NOT REALLY.

>> Stephen: NO?

DO YOU GO OFF YOUR DIET WHEN THE SEASON IS OVER?

>> I WROTE ABOUT THAT IN THE BOOK.

YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THAT.

( LAUGHTER ) >> Stephen: I DID READ THE

BOOK!

>> TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING -- I'M NOT CRITICIZING YOU.

>> Stephen: WHAT'S IT CALLED?

THE TB12 METHOD.

>> Stephen: WHAT'S YOUR FALLING OFF THE WAGON?

>> CHEESEBURGER, PIZZA.

>> Stephen: THAT'S GOOD.

NOT SO MUCH DURING THE SEASON.

IT REQUIRES SO MUCH TO RUN AWAY FROM THE 300-POUND GUYS.

YOU HAVE TO BE DISCIPLINED IN WHAT YOU DO.

THE DIET, HYDRATION, ALL THE THINGS I TALK ABOUT IN THE BACH

IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO PLAY AND RUN AWAY

FROM THE 22-YEAR-OLDS ON THE FIELD

( LAUGHTER ) >> Stephen: AS YOU SAID, YOU

HAVE BEEN PLAYING 18 YEARS NOW?

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: OKAY, THE AVERAGE, YOU KNOW, CAREER EXPECTANCY IN

THE N.F.L. IS THREE YEARS.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: HOW LONG DID YOU THINK YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO PLAY?

>> NOT LONG.

YOU KNOW, I WAS REALLY A LATE BLOOMER.

I COMPETED HARD IN COLLEGE, A LATE ROUND PICK TO THE PATRIOTS,

AND BATTLED IT OUT.

I'M STILL BATTLING IT.

TO BE THERE 18 YEARS, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO DO

THAT.

I'M VERY BLESSED.

>> Stephen: SO 18 MORE.

NO.

>> Stephen: IF YOU'RE REALLY COMPETITIVE, YOU WOULD GO FOR

IT.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: THOUGHT YOU WERE A WINNER.

( LAUGHTER ) JUST SAYING, YOU GOT TO WANT IT.

>> I KNOW.

>> Stephen: NOW THIS PAST COUPLE OF SEASONS, THERE HAS

BEEN POLITICS MIXED IN WITH OUR FOOTBALL.

WHEN YOU SEE THE PLAYERS KNEELING ON THE FIELD, DO YOU

KNOW WHAT THEY'RE KNEELING FOR OR DOES IT HAVE NO RESONANCE FOR

YOU?

WHAT DO YOU THINK WHEN YOU SEE THAT?

>> ON OUR TEAM, THERE WASN'T TOO MUCH OF THAT, BUT I THINK IT

BROUGHT UP A LOT OF HEALTHY DISCUSSION IN THE LOCKER ROOM.

SPORTS BRINGS TOGETHER A LOT OF GUYS TOGETHER FROM AROUND THE

COUNTRY AND BACKGROUNDS AND CULTURES.

I HAVE SUCH A HEALTHY RESPECT FROM GUYS I PLAY WITH, IT'S

GREAT TO HEAR THEIR STORIES, TOO.

>> Stephen: YOU CAN EXPRESS THEIR NEED TO EXPRESS

THEMSELVES.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: ANOTHER SORT OF CONTROVERSY AROUND FOOTBALL IS

THAT IT'S A DANGEROUS GAME.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: YOU'VE CALLED IT A SCHEDULED CAR CRASH.

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: THAT'S A QUOTE.

URE.

WORSE THAN A CAR CRASH.

>> Stephen: WHY IS IT WORSE?

BECAUSE I WAS IN A CAR CRASH AND IT WASN'T AS BAD AS GETTING

HIT ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD.

>> Stephen: WOW.

I KNOW.

>> Stephen: WOW.

( APPLAUSE ) YOU SHOULD TRY PLAYING THE GAME

IN A CAR.

( LAUGHTER ) THAT WOULD MAKE IT BETTER.

OR AT LEAST GET AN AIR BAG FOR THE GUY IN FRONT OF YOU.

WOULD YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY?

>> I THINK SO.

A LOT OF GOOD OUTWEIGHS THE BAD.

THERE'S A LOT OF DISCIPLINE WITH CONTACT SPORTS, A LOT OF FOCUS.

EVERY TIME YOU TAKE THE FIELD, YOU RESPECT YOUR OPPONENTS.

THERE'S A LOT ON THE LINE.

SPORTS DO A GREAT JOB OF KEEPING YOU FOCUSED IN THAT WAY AND IT'S

REALLY KEPT ME FOCUSED, BUT IT'S ALSO LED ME TO BE MUCH MORE

DISCIPLINED IN THE LIFE BECAUSE I LOVE THE SPORT AND I WANT TO

CONTINUE TO PLAY.

>> Stephen: WAS THERE A PARTICULAR POSITION YOU WANT TO

PLAY LIKE THE KICKER?

THEY'VE GOT IT EASY.

>> THEY'VE GOT IT PRETTY GOOD.

DEFENSIVE PLAYERS, IF YOU WERE A SAFETY, YOU DON'T HAVE TOO MUCH

RESPONSIBILITY OTHER THAN GOING AFTER THE FOOTBALL.

IF I COULD PLAY ONE POSITION OTHER THAN QUARTERBACK, IT WOULD

BE SAFE.

>> Stephen: DID YOU PLAY ANY OTHER POSITION OTHER THAN

QUARTERBACK?

>> I WAS SO BAD IN HIGH SCHOOL.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I'M NOT A GREAT ATHLETE.

>> Stephen: WAIT A SECOND, YOU WERE BAD IN HIGH SCHOOL SO THEY

MADE YOUR QUARTERBACK AS THE CONSOLATION PRIZE?

>> I WAS A BACKUP ON A FRESHMAN TEAM THAT WON O AND 8.

I WAS SO BAD I COULDN'T EVEN PLAY ON A TEAM THAT WON O AND 8.

>> Stephen: A POSITION ON YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM WOULD BE THE

BACKUP QUARTERBACK BECAUSE THEY'LL NEVER GET ON THE FIELD

BECAUSE YOU WON'T STOP PLAYING.

>> I'M GOING TO STOP PLAYING.

>> Stephen: WHEN?

I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO MAKE NEWS.

>> NO, I'M NOT TALKING RETIREMENT, I'M TALKING HOW LONG

TO PROLONG.

>> Stephen: WHAT ABOUT DIET.

HYDRATION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.

>> Stephen: ARE YOU ALWAYS IN THE BATHROOM.

>> NO, ONCE YOUR BODY ADAPTS, YOU DON'T NEED TO GO AS OFTEN.

THAT'S A BIG MISNOMER.

>> Stephen: THAT IF YOU DRINK A LOT OF WATER YOU HAVE TO PEA A

LOT?

>> YEAH.

>> Stephen: THAT SEEMS PHYSICS.

>> YOUR BODY ADAPTS.

>> Stephen: DO YOU TURN INTO THE GUY FROM "SHAPE OF WATER"

EVENTUALLY?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: DID YOU SEE THAT MOVIE?

>> NO.

>> Stephen: SHE HAS SEX WITH A FISH.

>> OH, WOW, I SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.

( PIANO RIFF ) >> Stephen: YEAH.

INTERESTING MOVIE.

I GUESS, I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET.

THAT'S WHAT I HEAR.

WHAT ARE THE DEEP TISSUE MASSAGES YOU DO.

>> THE KEY IN MY BELIEF IS PLIABILITY.

PLIABILITY IS THE ABILITY TO KEEP ALL YOUR MUSCLES LONG AND

SOFT.

>> Stephen: I GOT THE SOFT DOWN.

>> NOT THE LONG?

>> Stephen: NOT THE LONG SO MUCH.

>> I THINK WE COULD WORK ON THAT.

>> Stephen: COULD WE?

YES.

>YES.DO YOU WANT ME TO WORK ON Y YES.

( APPLAUSE ) DO YOU HAVE ANY LOTION?

>> Stephen: I'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS.

>> IT'S PRETTY INTENSE AND RIGOROUS.

LET ME APPLY LOTION FIRST.

DO YOU LIKE LOTION.

>> Stephen:.

>> Stephen: I DO LIKE LOTION.

WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN HERE.

>> FIRST YOU GET THE LOTION ON.

( LAUGHTER ) ( APPLAUSE )

>> Stephen: I'LL HOLD THE BOOK UP.

>> DO YOU WANT ME TO BLOW IN YOUR EAR?

NO?

>> Stephen: DURING THE COMMERCIAL BREAK.

>> ALL RIGHT.

>> Stephen: OH!

OH!

>> SEE?

( MARVIN GAYE DOING ) SONG )

>> Stephen: I'VE HAD MANY YEARS OF.

THIS.

>> YOU'RE VERY TIGHT.

>> Stephen: YEAH!

DO YOU ALWAYS GET THIS TIGHT WHEN GUESTS COME ON?

>> Stephen: I DO, I DO!

HOW'S THAT?

>> Stephen: LAST PERSON TO DO THIS ON THE SHOW IS JOE BIDEN.

>> I DON'T KNOW EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

>> Stephen: THAT'S FANTASTIC.

DO YOU SEE THE BLOOD COMING TO THE SURFACE?

>> Stephen: I THINK THAT'S AS LONG AND PLIABLE AS I CAN GET.

>> THAT'S THE KEY.

CAN I EXPLAIN?

>> Stephen: PLEASE YOU DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING TO ME

NOW.

( LAUGHTER ) YOU CAN BRING THE KIDS BACK INTO

THE ROOM, MOM AND DAD.

THAT WAS INTENSE.

>> WHEN I WAS A YOUNG QUARTERBACK I COULDN'T THROW THE

BALL BECAUSE MY ELBOW WAS SO SORE.

THE PROBLEM WAS THE MUSCLES ABOVE MY FOREARM IN MY BICEPS

AND TRICEPS WERE SO FIGHT IT WAS PUTTING PRESSURE ON THE TENDONS

IN MY QUARTERBACK.

SO IF THAT'S LONG AND THAT'S LONG, NO PRESSURE ON THE ELBOW.

YOU HAVE THE PLAYS THAT HAVE THE ELBOW PAIN, I WOULD THINK IF

THEY WOULD WORK ON SOME OF THESE THINGS IT WOULD BE A LOT BETTER.

>> Stephen: BACK WITH MORE TOM BRADY.

STICK AROUND!

The Description of Tom Brady Describes The Day After Losing A Super Bowl