Follow US:

Practice English Speaking&Listening with: Trump whistleblower willing to answer GOP questions: Report

(0)
Difficulty: 0

MAKE IT ANY LESS UNFAIR OR

PARTISAN.

ERIC: ACCORDING TO CBS NEWS, THE

LAWYER FOR THE WHISTLEBLOWER

SAID THE WHISTLEBLOWER IS

WILLING TO ANSWER REPUBLICANS

WRITTEN QUESTIONS IN THIS

IMPEACHMENT PROBE, BUT ITS NOT

CLEAR IF THAT WILL BE NEEDED OR

WHATLL HAPPEN WITH THE

WHISTLEBLOWER.

FORMER JUSTICE DEPARTMENT

COUNSEL, FORMER SENATE FOREIGN

RELATIONS COMMITTEE CHIEF

CHAMPION AND SENIOR ADVISER CAN

SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.

THE REPORTS ARE SAYING THE

DEMOCRATS MAY NOT HAVE TO RELY

ON THE WHISTLEBLOWER.

AFTER ALL, THEY HAVE THE PHONE

CALL, THEY HAVE THE

WHISTLEBLOWERS COMPLAINT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK REPUBLICANS

ARE GOING TO DO?

WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO WANT TO

KNOW ABOUT FROM THIS PERSON, AND

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEY WILL

ZERO IN ON?

>> WELL, LOOK, PART OF WHAT

THEYRE CONCERNED ABOUT ARE

THESE REPORTS THAT THE

WHISTLEBLOWER HAS TIED TO THE

DEMOCRATIC PARTY, WAS A PARTISAN

POLITICAL OPERATIVE POTENTIALLY

EVEN OR AT LEAST WORKED CLOSELY

WITH THE DNC AND THE BIDENS

PRIOR TO BECOMING A

WHISTLEBLOWER.

NOW, WHETHER THAT HAS ANY MERIT

OR NOT, WELL FIND OUT.

BUT THATS, I THINK, AT THE

HEART OF WHAT REPUBLICANS WILL

TRY TO FLUSH OUT.

WAS THERE A PARTISAN MOTIVE IN

HIS OR HER ACTIVITIES ALSO.

ERIC: SO BASICALLY, THEY WILL

QUESTION THIS PERSONS MOTIVE,

DO YOU THINK?

>> I THINK THATS PARKING LOT OF

IT.

I -- PART OF IT.

THE QUESTION IS WHY WAS THIS

PERSON WHISTLE BLOWING ON THIS

ISSUE WHEN THEY DIDNT HAVE

DIRECT KNOWLEDGE?

OBVIOUSLY, THERE WERE A LOT OF

PEOPLE, AS WEVE LEARNED, ON

THIS PHONE CALL WHO PARTICIPATED

IN IT.

WHY WAS THIS PERSON THE ONE THAT

CAME FORWARD, WHY DID ALL THESE

OTHER PEOPLE NOT COME FORWARD,

AND WAS THERE SOME PARTISAN

MOTIVATION BEHIND THAT?

THERES ALSO QUESTIONS ABOUT

THAT PERSONS INTERACTIONS WITH

THE CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE,

ADAM SCHIFF AND HIS STAFF, AHEAD

OF TIME, WHETHER THEY ENCOURAGED ADAM SCHIFF AND HIS STAFF, AHEAD

OF TIME, WHETHER THEY ENCOURAGED

HIM TO REPORT.

NOW, THAT WOULD NOT BE UNCOMMON,

BY THE WAY.

ITS VERY COMMON FOR A WHISTLE

BLOWER TO COME TO THE COMMITTEE

FIRST.

WHEN I WAS WORKING FOR THE

REPUBLICAN CHAIRMAN MIKE ROGERS,

WHISTLEBLOWERS WOULD COME TO US, REPUBLICAN CHAIRMAN MIKE ROGERS,

WHISTLEBLOWERS WOULD COME TO US,WED ADVISE THEM THAT THEY HAD A

WED ADVISE THEM THAT THEY HAD A

PROCESS TO GO THROUGH, THATS

NOT UNUSUAL.

BUT WHY DIDNT ADAM SCHIFF NOT

DISCLOSE THAT WHEN HE WAS ASKED

DIRECTLY HE?

THESE ARE QUESTIONS THATLL HAVE

TO BE ANSWERED.

ERIC: IM NOT AWARE OF ANY

REPORT THAT SAYS SCHIFF HIMSELF

HAD DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE

WHISTLEBLOWER, THAT THE

WHISTLEBLOWER -- APPARENTLY,

ACCORDING TO REPORTS -- WENT TO

STAFF COMMITTEE, AND THAT

STAFFER DIRECTED THE

WHISTLEBLOWER TO GO TO A LAWYER.

AS YOU SAY, DO YOU THINK THE

REPUBLICANS WERE TRYING TO ZERO

IN OP EACH OF THESE STEPS?

>> WELL, I THINK THEY WILL

BECAUSE THERES BEEN A LOT OF

QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW THIS

IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY CAME TO BE

AND WHETHER ITS APPROPRIATE,

WHETHER THE PROCESS HAS BEEN

FOLLOWED TO DATE AND THE PROCESS

THAT WILL COME FROM HERE ON OUT

IS APPROPRIATE.

IT HAS DEFUATED FROM THE

PROCESS -- DEVIATED IN TERMS OF

THE AUTHORITIES GIVEN TO

REPUBLICANS ON THE COMMITTEE.

THERE IS A DEVIATION THERE.

THAT RAISES CONCERNS.

AND SO HOW THE PROCESS STARTED

WILL BE A QUESTION TOO.

AND YOURE RIGHT, WHILE THERES

NO SUGGESTION THAT ADAM SCHIFF

DIRECTLY TALKS TO THE

WHISTLEBLOWER, ITS HARD TO

IMAGINE THIS COMPLAINT CAME FROM

THE CHAIRMANS STAFF AND THE

CHAIRMAN WASNT INFORMED ABOUT

IT, AND THEN THE QUESTION

BECOMES WHAT DID HE KNOW AND

WHEN, AND DID HE ENCOURAGE STAFF

TO TAKE ACTIONS OR WHATEVER.

AND THEN HOW DOES THAT TIE TO

THIS WHISTLEBLOWERS TIES

ALLEGEDLY TO THE DNC AND THE

PARTY AHEAD OF TIME AND THE

BIDENS AHEAD OF TIME.

ERIC: SO IF THE REPUBLICANS TAKE

THAT TACK, HOW DO YOU SEE THE

DEMOCRATS TRYING TO DEFEND THE

WHISTLE BLOWER?

>> LOOK, I THINK THEY ARE GOING

TO DEFEND THE WHISTLEBLOWER AND

HAVE TO DATE SAYING, LOOK, THIS

IS A PERSON WITH A LONG HISTORY

IN THE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNITY,

THEYRE NOT A PARTISAN PERSON,

THERES NO EVIDENCE OF THAT, SO

WELL SEE HOW THAT ALL PLAYS

OUT.

AT THE END OF THE DAY THOUGH,

ERIC, I THINK YOUR POINT IS

PROBABLY IT DOESNT MATTER WHO

THE WHISTLEBLOWER IS, IT MATTERS

WHAT HAPPENED ON THAT PHONE

CALL, AND ADAM SCHIFF HAS SAID

WE HAVE THE PHONE CALL.

WE DONT NEED THE WHISTLEBLOWER,

WE CAN ALL LOOK AT THAT AND SAY

WAS IT APPROPRIATE QUID PRO QUO,

BECAUSE WE KNOW THE U.S.

GOVERNMENT ALL THE TIME SAYS

WELL GIVE YOU THIS IF YOU DO

THAT, RIGHT?

THE QUESTION IS WAS THIS

PROBLEMATIC BECAUSE OF THE

POLITICAL NATURE OF THE

UNDERLYING ASK, AND THATS THE

BIG QUESTION AT STAKE FOR BOTH

HOUSE DEMOCRATS AND HOUSE

REPUBLICANS AND, ULTIMATELY, FOR

SENATORS TO DECIDE WHETHER OR

NOT THATS AN IMPEACHABLE

DEFENSE.

ERIC: RIGHT NOW WERE WAITING

FOR THE PRESIDENT TO SPEAK, HES

SPEAKING AFTER GETTING OFF

MARINE ONE AT THE WHITE HOUSE,

AND WERE TOLD THAT, YOU KNOW,

HES RIGHT BACK THERE, AND HE IS

TALKING ABOUT THE ISSUE OF

IMPEACHMENT.

WHAT DO YOU EXPECTS GOING TO

HAPPEN?

THIS COULD ROLL OUT AND FLICKER

ON OUR TELEVISION SCREENS OVER

THE NEXT FEW WEEKS, AND THEN IT

GOES TO THE SENATE W.’S YOUR

PREDICTION?

>> I THINK RIGHT NOW ON THE

EVIDENCE THAT EXISTS, I THINK WE

WILL SEE THE PRESIDENT LIKELY

IMPEACHED BY THE HOUSE.

THE HOUSE DEMOCRATS HAVE

INDICATED A CLEAR COMMITMENT TO

THAT.

YOU SAW REPUBLICANS VOTED ALMOST

EN BLOC AGAINST THE INQUIRY IN

PART ABOUT THE CONCERNS OVER THE

PROCESS BY WHICH IT CAME TO BE

AND THE PROCESS GOING FORWARD.

IF THE HOUSE DOES VOTE IN A

PARTISAN MANNER, THEN THE

SENATE -- AS YOUR REPORTER

POINTED OUT -- HAS TO AT LEAST

HEAR THE CHARGES, AND THATS TO

SIT AS A JURY, AND THEN THE

QUESTION IS WILL THEY DISMISS

THE CHARGES ON A PARTISAN VOTE,

AND THAT COULD CAUSE A LOT OF

QUESTIONS BECAUSE THATS NEVER

HAPPENED BEFORE.

WILL THE SENATE ABIDE BY REGULAR

ORDER WHEN THE HOUSE HASNT DONE WILL THE SENATE ABIDE BY REGULAR

ORDER WHEN THE HOUSE HASNT DONE

THE SENATORS HAVE A REAL BELIEF

THAT, ITS A VERY HARD QUESTION.

IN TRADITION, MOST OF THE

SENATORS DO, AND THEY BELIEVE

YOU SHOULD GO FORWARD WITH THE

TRADITIONAL PROCESS.

BUT GIVEN THE FACT THAT THE

HOUSE HASNT GONE THROUGH ITS

TRADITIONAL PROCESS, HOW THAT

IMPACTS THE SENATE, THATS A

BIG, OPEN QUESTION AND WHAT

WELL SEE PLAY OUT.

ERIC: AS JOAN CRAWFORD ONCE

SAID, FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELT,

ITS GOING TO BE A BUMPY RIDE.

The Description of Trump whistleblower willing to answer GOP questions: Report